Red bump like pimple slightly above tummy tuck incision. (photos)

I am nearly 5weeks post full tummy tuck. I have one very swollen side which hangs over my scar. When I lift up the the skin there is like a red pimple (at this stage there isn't any pus) just really inflamed and raised . It doesn't appear to be on the incision its just above it . I cannot go to my surgeon as I had this done abroad. Any idea what this is please? it's slightly sore .I'm sorry the photos will only load upside down but one pic is swollen side and one pic is when I lift it up thanks

Probably a spitting suture

Based on your description and photo, it sounds like a spitting suture. Warm compresses may help it come to the surface. However, if the situation doesn't improve with time or gets worse, you need to have it assessed in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Red bump like pimple slightly above tummy tuck incision.

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

It is obviously not possible to be certain without an in-person examination, but given what I see and the time frame, it is most likely what we call a spitting suture or suture abscess.  It is local inflammation due to a suture coming to the surface before it dissolves. If I am correct, warm compresses will hasten the resolution--although it may open slightly and drain before it completely heals.  Also you may get others.  Showering is fine.  Dressing is simply an antibacterial ointment and a gauze covering.  You do not need antibiotics.

If I am incorrect, the problem may worsen, in which case you will need to see a plastic surgeon in your area or go to the ED.

Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon