What would you recommend for the circles under my eyes? (Photo)

Would Botox on my frown and crows feet help my under eye circles? I'm 38 and at a consultation was told only Botox for the above areas and nothing but surgery for my eye circles.. Is this correct? Would have having the Botox in crows feet make a difference to my eye circles?

What would you recommend for the circles under my eyes?

Fraxel® light resurfacing is my go to treatment of choice for lightening dark eye circles. As this is a very innovative technique, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.   

Miami Dermatologist

Botox not for under eye bags

Botox will in no way help your dark circles.  A lower blepharoplasty would be your best option for the excess skin.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Under Eye puffiness

I would concur with the previous physician who suggested surgery for you. Fillers and Botox will not correct it. Best, Dr. Green

Botox for undereye circles

Botox is great for foreheads, brows, crow's feet, and all sorts of things in the lower face/mouth.  However, it doesn't do anything for circles/bags under the eyes.  Surgery is an easy answer, but I typically find that correcting these bags/circles non-surgically gives us as good a result without having to go to the operating room.  A filler like Juvederm Voluma combined with a "lighter" filler in that area often does the trick.  A light laser treatment or chemical peel can help significantly improve those results.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Periorbital rejuvenation

Botox would help improve the appearance of your eyes by softening the crow's feet and opening up your eyes. However, it will not do anything for the undereye dark circles. A filler such as Restylane or Belotero could replace some of the volume you have lost in the tear trough and improve the dark circles. A non ablative laser such as Fraxel could help with the fine lines around the eyes and lighten any pigmentation A good eye cream, particularly one containing hyaluronic acid to plump the skin and a retinol to help with the lines would also improve the appearance of your eyes. In summary, there are many treatment options, and it is important that you see an experienced physician who can combine these treatments to give you the best results possible.

What to do for dark circles under the eyes

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photographs. There are several treatment options for dark circles under the eyelids; however, BOTOX is not one of them. Restylane can be injected to improve the shadow, laser skin resurfacing can be performed to lighten the skin color, but it is difficult to remove the fine blood vessels beneath the skin which contribute to dark circles. Some patients experience improvement with Microneedling / PRP.  See an eyelid expert for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of treatment options.  Good luck,

Several options...

Thanks for the question. Firstly, I would say that from the photos, you appear to have bags and bulges rather than dark circles. These can be treated either with filler injections or surgery. The surgery can be performed either by a transconjunctival (scarless) approach, or by the anterior conventional approach. You should see an ocoluplastic or plastic surgeon with appropriate expertise to discuss this further.If the problem is darkness, this is another issue entirely. It only tends to improve with blepharoplasty in about 50% of patients and in a very small number (1% or less), it can actually make them worse.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye dark circle correction

thanks for the enquiry . Definitely botox for your frown and crow's feet won't help for your under eye dark circles. you have mainly two problems. 1. prolapsed inner most fat pad in the lower eyelid 2. Tear trough deformity.Non surgically you can camouflage by injecting a filler (restylene) in the groove to mask the bulge and fill the groove.Surgically removing the fat pads and filling groove with your own fat is a good option along with tightening the lower lid . i prefer the the surgical option since it gives long lasting result . Consult a board certified plastic surgeon for further clarity in the above discussed .

Treatments for dark circles under the eyes

Thank you for your question Lexi2609. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions such as the horizontal lines on the forehead seen when one raises the brows, the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns, and the crows feet seen around the eyes when one smiles. While surgical options for under eye bags are the longest lasting, non-surgical options include fillers such as Restylane and fractional CO2 lasers. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Tear trough

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I think you are an excellent candidate for placement of a hyaluronic acid filler in the area underneath your eyes (i.e., "tear troughs"). I tend to use Restylane in this area, but there are other fillers that work well here, too. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.     

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon