Should I put on weight before a fat grafting procedure?

Hello, I'm about to undergo a fat grafting procedure to my breast and buttocks in 6 weeks time. My surgeon said I don't have massive amount of fat to harvest but he would take the fat from my tummy, love handles, back and inner thigh. I am of average build at 168cm tall and weigh around 68kgs. Should I try and put on more weight before my procedure? Do grafted fat cells survive better when they are fuller/bigger?

Weight gain

Gaining weight may give more to harvest, but will shrink as you loose weight. It is better after a transfer that your weight remains stable.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting

Hello and thank you for your question. In general I do not think gaining an excessive amount of weight is a great way to have fat for fat grafting. Often the weight that you gain will also be gained in other areas you may not want to gain weight. I would speak to your surgeon specifically about what you can expect. 

Best Wishes

Theodore T. Nyame MD 

Harvard-Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Breast Fat transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I do not recommend gaining weight for the procedure.  For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon