10 days post op, I have a purple flat nipple. Any suggestions?

I am 10 days post op and my right nipple is flat and purple but just the middle part the rest is pink. This side did have a bigger gland so I'm thinking just more bruising. Hope you can put my mind at rest

What to Expect While Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Purple Nipple After Surgery

Hi turnman,
Thanks for the post. A purple nipple after surgery can be bruising, but you need to make sure it is not purple due to decreased blood flow. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon right away so this can be differentiated.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

10 Days Post Op with Dark Nipple

You could have reduced blood flow to the nipple or a bruise.  This is uncommon, so contact your surgeon for an exam.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Dark nipple following surgery

That is rare and usually a result of either bruising or reduced blood flow
in any case I wouldn't worry too much as if left alone it picks up and heals just fine
make sure you don't pick up any scabs!!!
i have not seen in my practice a case of sloughing of the nipple that causes permanent disfigurement