Propecia . Breast cancer history ...

Hi , Still considering propecia ... Have a history of breast cancer in females in both my mothers side and fathers side . There are studies linking propecia to breast cancer . I'm worried I'll increase my risk of getting male breast cancer should I start taking it . It's the only factor keeping me from starting ! Thanks in advance

Propecia . Breast cancer history ...

I do not have one male patient at my practice who has developed breast cancer in the past three decades, and many of them are currently prescribed Propecia. There are some data from Canadian researchers that it may increase the potential risk for male breast cancer. You should consult your personal medical physician to discuss the benefit ratio and the potential for an unsatisfactory outcome.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Breast Cancer and Propecia – See Geneticist, Expert. Use PRP and Progesterone for hair regrowth

Usually, breast cancer risk is not increased by taking finasteride/propecia. If you're worried, please get tested to find out if you carry a significant mutation that might raise your risk. There are other options for hair regrowth. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Breast Cancer and finasteride

With your family history, you might be checked for the genes that produced breast cancer in your family. The risk of breast cancer in men having the gene is presently unknown and it would be a contraindication for use if you have the gene

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Propecia and breast cancer in men

Reasonably large epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk of breast cancer in men taking finasteride. You may wish to review the blogs I wrote a while back. See link below.
Ultimately, if you are worried about your personal risk, see an oncologist and genetics specialist. If you are a carrier of a gene, this could alter your risk somewhat.