What is the best procedure for me to have? Lipo, a tummy tuck or something else? (Photo)

I am almost 30 years old with one child and hoping for one more, but my body is far from looking the way I want it. I am 5'4 with a BMI of 37, I look and feel so over weight and everytime I try diet and exercise, I end up with more weight than I had in the first place. I weigh almost 16st and ideally I would love to be at least 12st but nothing I have tried so far is working for me. Sugery is my last resort so I want it to be right so that I happy long term. Please someone help me figure it out!

Best Procedure: Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

First it is important to realize that a tummy tuck and/or liposuction are body sculpting procedures and not weight loss procedures. (Bariatric surgeries are for weight loss.) It's great that you are trying to eat a healthy diet and exercise. Don't be discouraged. You may be losing body fat and gaining muscle mass which may account for the weigh gain. Increased muscle mass will burn more fat. It will take time to achieve your goal.

Currently you weigh 16st (224 lbs.) and would like to weigh 12st (168 lbs.). At 5'4" your current BMI is 38.4
For a tummy tuck, ideally, your BMI should be 35 or below. That would put you about 14.6st (204 lbs.). I believe that is a realistic weight loss goal.

You also mentioned that you may want more children. Have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options regarding surgery. You may want to wait until you are done childbearing.

I hope this helps. Chin up! You can do it!

Troy Plastic Surgeon

What is the best procedure for me to have? Lipo, a tummy tuck or something else?

If you have a big belly that makes you unhappy and you are not happy about the look of it, if you have experienced skin sagging on your abdominal area after a weight loss, if you are unhappy with the sagged look of your abdominal area after the pregnancy, if you had a liposuction operation and now your belly is sagged; then you can get benefit from a Tummy Tuck operation.

Preparation :

Tummy Tuck operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 3 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Do I Need A Tummy Tuck Also?

Thank you for your question. Based on the photos provided, it appears you are a candidate for a full tummy tuck. The lower abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening will give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction of the flanks and hips will further improve your contour. It is best to be within 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination and to discuss the specific details of the procedure. Ask to see before and after tummy tuck photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck after all pregnancies

The best time to do a tummy tuck is when you are done with pregnancies and you are at a normal weight.  Right now does not seem like the best time for you to get your best result.  Even liposuction gets the best result when you are at a normal weight but I would consider liposuction for you situation at this time.  You can get some nice shape improvement that will help you move forward in your diet and exercise.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question.  I think you would get a great result from a full tummy tuck together with liposuction of your sides, whole back and lateral breast tissue.  This would result in a flat tummy with a nice curve in your waistline, and a nice shape to your back.