Why does placement of an implant over the muscle have an increased risk of capsular contraction? (Photo)

I am looking to have a natural, modest Breast, I want my breasts to behave like breasts, I also want to carry on with my HIIT workouts. I have mild asymmetry so my PS will use sizers to match the breasts. My left breast will have 270cc textured silicone. He will decide on the day whether to go over or under. I think the overs offer a lot of benefits but I keep eating about increased risk of cc, why?

Why does placement of an implant over the muscle have an increased risk of capsular contraction?

Data about increased capsular contracture higher in subglandular augmentation are mostly older data before the new cohesive gel implants. The new implants along with the no touch technique using triple antibiotic solution have greatly reduced capsular contracture rates. The key is that you need adequate breast tissue to cover the implant. A pinch test of the gland can be done and if you have more than 2 cm of gland thickness -especially on the left smaller breast-then you can have a  sub glandular implant. Please read below about the no touch technique:

Breast augmentation

Anatomical implants with 5th generation cohesive gel above the muscle may be a good option for you and there is no evidence to suggest that these implants have an increased chance of capsular contracture. You need to consult with a PS who can examine you and run through the pros and cons with you. Implants above the muscle thin the breast and skin and implants under thin the muscle with time. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon