Piercings. Do I need to take them out?

I am considering getting a BBL/fat transfer in febuary. I have few piercings and I'm wondering what to do with them. Do I need to take them out? Is it okay to f.ex put plastic ones in(clitorial hood, belly button and nipple piercings). I also have a dermal piercing on my lowerback which is not easilly taken out so what about that? Thank you

Piercings. Do I need to take them out?

Piercings need to come out if they contain metal and your PS plans on using a bovie electocautery during your surgery. I do not use one in a BBL, but do if it is combined with other stuff such as a tummy tuck. It is best to ask your PS to make sure.

Piercing removal before BBL

Thank you for your question.Although it may be slightly inconvenient, it is very important to remove these pieces of jewelry to prevent yourself from getting burnt if the doctor uses a cauterizing tool to stop bleeding. There is also potential of infection if the jewelry is left in. I would take the advice of your surgeon and do what you can to put yourself at a low risk of complications. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon