Pain 14 months post tummy tuck and muscle repair.

Hi, I am suffering from pain & tenderness which feels like a bruising pain whenever I do Any core/ ab work at the gym? I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair in Aug 2015 with unsatisfactory results and have found another surgeon who is performing my revision in September. I am however quite worried as to why when I workout I get pain & also swelling? Is this normal? I excersise 4 times a week for 30-45 mins at a time using weights & hiit classes.

Pain after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. Without an in-person examination, it is rather difficult to guarantee a reliable assessment of your concern and provide an individualized medical advice. While it's not uncommon to experience some discomfort shortly after a tummy tuck procedure, it is highly unusual for pain to persist 14 months after the surgery. Typically, it takes about 8-12 weeks for any wounds and scarring caused by the procedure to heal, and 4-6 months for the swelling to subside. I would strongly advise you to contact your plastic surgeon and share you concerns. 

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Unusual Post Op Pain when Exercising

Given that it's been over a year since your surgery, what you are experiencing is definitely unusual. However, since you describe your results as "unsatisfactory", that could explain it. The best person to assess what's up is your new surgeon. Schedule an appointment to discuss with he or she in person.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Pain 14 months post tummy tuck and muscle repair

It is unusual to have pain this far out from a tummy tuck, but since you say you had an "unsatisfactory" result, all bets are off.  You will need an in-person evaluation.  Your new surgeon is most likely to be able to help you.  Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon