Follow-up Question - What does my nose need? I was considering rhinoplasty for more nasal definition. (photos)

i went to 2 different doctors for consultation. one of them said i need only to reduce the nostrils and he said he could also refine the nasal bridge without changing the tip by closed rhinoplasty . the other one said i need also more tip refinment as he told me its bulbous& he suggested open rhinoplasty.can you refine the bridge without the tip or it will not fit the new narrowed bridge ? and which suggestion is better for more natural look without anyone noticing i had surgery, (nb: i have thick skin)

To see the previous question, please click here. 

Follow-up Question - What does my nose need? I was considering rhinoplasty for more nasal definition.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Natural rhinoplasty for a more attractive and feminine nose!

Natural rhinoplasty for a more attractive and feminine nose! This can be achieved with a closed approach. If you are happy with your tip leave it alone! I tell patients i do noses THEY like and if they are happy with it then I am too. Please yourself and not the surgeon.

Your pictures are inadequate, however, I would refine the tip and infractur (narrow) the upper nose through a closed rhino approach.

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Hello and thank you for your question. Either open or closed could be fine for you.  Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Open Or Closed Rhinoplasty -- First Time

The aesthetic changes are ones you should determine based on what bothers you.  I can offer this bit of information, however -- and based solely on the two photos you sent (which are not nearly as helpful as an in-office consultation):  I do not necessarily think your surgery needs to be performed via the open approach.  If this is your first rhinoplasty, which it appears to be, a closed approach performed by a very experienced surgeon could be sufficient. I suggest you do your research, and find a board certified plastic surgeon with years of experience with rhinoplasty.  Read his or her reviews,  look at photos, and keep looking until you find the right surgeon.

More pictures

More pictures are needed to accurately assess.  It is very important for you to decide what bothers you and what changes you would like to be made.  Once that is determined, then work with your surgeon to plan your operation so that YOUR goals can be achieved.  Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon