Is it normal to feel one of your breast implants with severe pain, muscle spasms and burns? (Photo)

I got 375cc in the left and 350cc in the right. silicone round under the muscle. I'm 7 days post op, still in pain with left side.When i get up from laying down or move, My left breast suddenly gets so tight like I feel the implants inside and it feels like muscle spasms perhaps I don't know but it hurts a lot. The pain is around the under boob/arm pit. It also hurts if I try to touch it there. Is it normal? Could it just be nerves coming back to life? Or could it be from the bra given to me?

Shooting pain and discomfort are common after breast augmentation surgery.

Breast augmentation surgery requires the body to accommodate new objects that weren’t there before and there will be some discomfort involved in the recovery process. The skin, muscles, and tissue must stretch to accommodate the implants, so feelings of tightness and pressure are completely normal. As the skin and tissue expand and the implants drop into the breast pockets in the coming months, these feelings will subside. As far as the shooting pains, this is often a sign that nerves are healing and regenerating, which is a positive thing. However, discuss any and all concerns regarding pain or discomfort with your plastic surgeon during follow-up visits. Also, as another surgeon pointed out, keep in mind that each breast heals individually after augmentation surgery, so it’s not uncommon for one to feel different than the other.  

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Are my breasts ok after my enlargement?

Dear Sara

Many thanks for posting your question. From the photos, it looks like you are doing very well and your breasts will settle down to give you a very nice result.

The pains and spasms will settle down - I suggest seeing your surgeon for reassurance, but it is not unusual to experience these feelings in the early post-operative period.

Wishing you the best of luck

Is it normal to feel one of your breast implants with severe pain, muscle spasms and burns?

It is normal to experience sharp, shooting pains after a breast augmentation...this typically indicates nerve regeneration. You may also be having some muscle spasms if you aren't exercising your arms fully. However, best to always let your operating surgeon know that you are experiencing this type of pain so you can be properly evaluated in person if needed. Good luck!

Pain in one breast 7 days out from surgery

Hello Sara and thank your for your post.  Yes it is quite normal for one side to feel different than the other in terms of severity, location, or type of pain.  Breast augmentation is not one surgery so much as it is one surgery performed on the right breast and another surgery performed on the left breast.  To that point, one side may swell more than the other, bruise more than the other, hurt more than the other, etc.  Further, the healing may occur at different rates from one side to the other.  One implant may settle faster.  One side may remain swollen longer.  You get the idea.  At this phase you are still very early in the healing process where these sensations may occur.  By all means keep your surgeon aware of what you are feeling and aware of your concerns, but is it is any consolation I do not see anything in the photos nor read anything in your comments that is alarming.  Good luck!