Is it possible to go too NARROW with an implant?

I'm a large B cup, 5.7" and my measurements are as seen in the pic. I only want an extremely conservative augmentation - the largest sized I tried on and was comfortable with was 250. One surgeon has recommended 210 moderate profile, the diameter of which was only around 10cm. My BWD is 13.5 My worry is that's too narrow and won't fill my breast, but surgeon didn't seem to understand when I put this question to him.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Dimensional Sizing/Measurements

Very conservative volume increases can be done with dimensional augmentation using low or low plus projection implants. Given your base width diameter that would still mean 300-320 ccs minimum and a fairly flat breast. Keep in mind that volumes look vastly different on different people and what appears large on a 5'1, 90lb person with 11 cm wide breasts,  would not appear large or even register on a 5'7, 13.5 width. 

Dimensional BA planning means selecting implants which match or come in just under your breast base width- up to 5mm less but ideally not narrower than that.

My patients find it helpful to try implant sizers on in a form fitting T-shirt in the office to get an idea of how they might look. Keep in mind that when placed under the muscle, implants often seem smaller after surgery as well. It may help for you to make rice sizers at home and experiment with  getting used to different volumes. 

All the best 

Breast implant and width question

Hello and thank you for the question. Yes, it is possible to go too narrow or too wide. You should opt for an implant that roughly matches the diameter of your natural breast. 

Sometimes, a too narrow implant will have a wide gap in the middle look. 

This might mean having to pick a slightly bigger implant than you originally were considering. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

I think that based on the information that you have provided, the implant is too narrow and too small for your breast dimensions. The base width of the implant should more closely match your breast width. A moderate profile implant will not make you look too large. Good luck!

Too narrow of an implant

Thank you for your question. Determining the size that will work best for you is dependent on several factors including your skin quality, your breast dimensions and your overall goals. The base diameter is one of the most important factors in my opinion when choosing an implant size. If your base diameter is 13.5 then I would suggest an implant that is slightly smaller than that. Without photos, exam and the ability to see your skin quality, it is difficult to make suggestions. If you can use a slightly larger implant in a moderate profile such as a 250cc, it may increase the width and not the projection depending on the implant manufacturer. If you are not comfortable with your surgeon because he could not explain why he wanted to use a particular size, my suggestion would be to seek another consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is a member of ASAPS. Determine which surgeon and which plan you are most comfortable with and go from there. You must be comfortable with your surgeon before undergoing elective surgery. Good luck to you.