Mini Tummy Tuck or full? (photos)

Ive been told I only need mini

Mini vs full TT

A mini will only address the skin under the bellybutton and not the wrinkles you have above.
Only have a mini if you would be happy with that.

What sort of tummy tuck should I have?

Many thanks for posting your question.

From what I can see from your photographs, I don't think a mini-tummy-tuck will suffice. It appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck, that will involve not only removing the excess skin and fat, but also tightening of the tummy muscles to improve your shape.

I would suggest seeing some other fully accredited Plastic Surgeons for their opinions too.

Good luck

Full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Often times the allure of a smaller operation leads to a lesser result. You need a full tummy tuck, unless the "pooch" above your belly button doesn't bother you. 

Good luck,  Beverly Friedlander, MD

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Mini Tummy Tuck or full?

Thank you for the question and pictures. In my practice, I would only offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.