Would liposuction help my neck?

Age 45, this treatment has been recommend by a surgeon, he said the trauma of the liposuction would tighten the skin and the fat being removed would contour my jaw giving a better profile..get said I am too young for a neck lift. Thanks so much for any reply

Treatment of fullness behind the chin in a 45-year-old.

It's possible that you could benefit from liposuction or injection of Kybella. Both of these will address surplus fat. However if there is significant platysma banding, which can be determined by physical examination, these might not be the best choice.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

Although you may be a candidate for neck lifting based on your photos, I have had many great results with VASER hi def neck liposuction and some neck-lift like results.  I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Limited benefit from liposuction

Hi - thanks for your photos.  You would definitely get some benefit from liposuction, but I believe it would be limited.  It is certainly a lesser procedure & thus lesser results should be expected.  If your expectations are a fully contoured neck & improvement of your jawline then a lower face & neck lift is what you really need.  Saying that - sometimes the contour is not always achievable due to the shape of the underlying muscles in your neck.  I would advise at least another consultation with another surgeon (or 2 or 3) & clearly discuss your expected outcomes/wishes & then they should be able to guide you as to the best surgical approach. All the best with your journey.

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Neck or lower facelift best

Hi Bonnymarie. Many thanks for your post. Liposuction is likely to have only a limited effect. The fullness under the chin is often due to deeply seated fat, which is difficult to target by submental liposuction. It will also not address the slack or laxity in the underlying muscle, which is a major contributing factor to neck and jawline definition. Judging from your photos, I think you would get a great result from a neck or lower face-lift - this would give the potential to significantly improve neck contour as well as reduce jowls by suspending the deeper tissue. And actually, you are exactly the right age to get the most out of this procedure. I would arrange a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in all aspects of facial aesthetic surgery. Good luck!

Would liposuction help my neck? (Photo)

I think that your neck could be improved with liposuction, but I would combine that with a mini facelift or neck lift. Some deep suturing of the muscle covering your neck will rejuvenate that area. Good luck!

Liposuction to Contour the Neck

It is impossible to give you any specific advice from the pictures. If you have significantly more fat in the upper neck than in the lower neck (your pictures do not show this), you would be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck. You can also improve the appearance of the neck with a chin implant. The trauma does not significantly tighten your skin but may do so somewhat if enough fat is removed. Make sure you discuss exactly what you can expect from the procedure.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon