Lift required? If so what kind? (photos)

I've decided I am getting implants but still unsure if I need a lift or not as I have been told different things! Any advice would be welcome!

Lift needed?

Thank you for your question. It is obviously difficult to be absolutely certain from photos alone, but it looks as if a straightforward augmentation would be a possibility, though I would probably recommend an uplift as well. Without the lift, your result would sit quite low, feel quite heavy, you would be more bra-dependent, rather than less and this may not be what you are looking for. It very much depends on your attitude to the scars and this is something that really needs to be discussed at a consultation. I have also found 3-D imaging helpful in illustrating the results of your options and I would suggest you make an appointment with someone in your area, who can offer this.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

You will benefit from a Breast Implant / Breast Fat Fill

Hi. You dont really need a lift from what I see in the photos. You will benefit from just breast implants or breast fat fill.

What kind of lift do i require?

Your breast a asymmetrical and both the breast gland and nipple areolar complex (NAC) are ptotic especially the left side. Depending if you want to go larger or not then the best procedure is a superior dermo-glandular nipple pedicle and vertical scar mastopexy with or without an implant. This will help the symmetry of NAC and breast mound.If you are happy with the current asymmetry then a breast implant will augment the breasts but not change the position of breast gland or NAC.

Jack Zoumaras, MBBS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

No easy answers

Dear Uplift,
Thank you for your question and photographs.  You have probably realised that there is no answer to your question because it looks you are in the group of patients who do not absolutely need a lift, but could have one to improve the shape.  The question is whether it is worth the extra scarring, potential complications and cost of having a lift with implants, when you may be happy with implants alone.
In these circumstances I would advise that you have implants (because you have decided on this) and see if you are happy with the shape.  If you are unhappy, you could always have a lift afterwards, but I think that you may well not need it.  As always, if you are uncomfortable with the surgical plan at present, seek other opinions until you are completely happy before proceeding with surgery.  Good luck.

Augment vs augment plus lift

Hi,From your pics, you may be able to "get away" with a simple augment, but this will depend on what you hope to achieve and which "look" you prefer. A lift will raise the areola and reformat the breast volume, but you will have scars on the breast mound, which may not be to your liking. An augment usually has a single short incision / scar in the breast crease. Chat to a reputable plastic surgeon for an opinion and to discuss your desires in person. They will inform you of the choices available and the compromises that may need to be made.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

You are a borderline case and will depend on your goals

Hello and thank you for your question. Without an examination, it is hard to tell you exactly what would be of most benefit to you. The short answer to your question is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery who is not afraid to do a lift and augmentation at the same time. In your case, I can't tell if you will definitely need a lift or not. There is a good chance that you will benefit from breast augmentation alone with a dual plane technique as you seem to be a borderline case. Or, if you're a borderline case, getting an augmentation now and then going for a lift later if you are unhappy may be an option as well. In my own patients, there are situations where we have achieved the look they desire with a) a breast augmentation, b) a breast augmentation and a lift later on (this is more the exception than the rule), or c) a simultaneous breast aug and lift (if you have clear ptosis, it is hard to justify doing the right thing later). When I discuss with my patients about breast lifting techniques and also use of implants, I break down the different topics into parts. The easy way to decipher what each procedure produces is that implants increase breast volume and add upper pole fullness. Implants are placed in either a subglandular or subpectoral pocket centered over the left and right chest breast footprint. When you have ptosis/sagging, where the nipple-areola complex is at the fold or lower, your breast will continue to hang off of your chest onto your upper abdomen. In fact, in patients with such sagging who undergo an augmentation without a lift, their breast tissue hangs off of the implant that is sitting on their chest, creating a shape like Snoopy's nose, hence called a "snoopy" deformity. Implants can not give a therapeutic lift and taking shortcuts will only lead to suboptimal results. In some borderline cases of ptosis, breast augmentation can be performed and if there is unsatisfactory
sagging, then a lift can be performed later at a second stage, but in your case, an in person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon will be most instrumental in going over your lifting options in conjunction with implants. Two lifting techniques that are very good ones in the right patient and I use are based on the following: 1) if it is mainly the nipple position that needs lifting, I like the circumareolar approach (also called a donut lift) vs 2) if a large portion of the breast tissue/weight needs to be lifted, a circumvertical (also called a lollipop lift) and sometimes a full anchor incision is needed as the circumareolar approach in my mind is not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast and results in stretching of the areola and drooping over time. I hope this helps you and best of luck to you!
Sincerely,
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD