Do I need a lift or will implants alone be sufficient? 30 year old, 2 children, 5'6, 9 stone and 34 a/b bra (Photos)

Im wondering if i need a lift or could i get away with just implants alone? I was told i only need implants and then was told by another that a crescent uplift would be required on only one breast. I was also told i need a full anchor uplift which i really don't want. I know implants alone wont lift the breast, if my nipples/areola were raised slightly Or if possible the lower pole was filled out so the areola appears slightly lifted/more balanced. Im not really fussed with the size of my areola

A lift would improve the shape but alternatively large implants would take up the loose skin.

Dear Layla,

Your question is very common.  It comes down to a compromise because the shape of your breasts would be improved with a lift but it does cause scarring and creates more potential for complications.  It would be possible to use implants alone although this would not lift your nipples.  Implants would add volume and judging by the photographs, you would be looking at quite a large implant, which would help to take up some of the loose skin.

Make sure that you see a fully trained plastic surgeon - the BAAPS and BAPRAS websites have a list of members and look for someone who can show you before and after photographs that can give you an idea of the sort of result that you can realistically expect.  Good luck.

Do you need a lift?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

Do I need a lift or will implants alone be sufficient? 30 year old, 2 children, 5'6, 9 stone and 34 a/b bra

Greeeting

from your photos you look to be a great candidate for breastlift plus implants. Asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift

Thank you for your question.  You are a good candidate for a breast augmentation with lift given the droopiness of the breasts and low-positioned nipples.  A breast augmentation without lift will result in larger breasts with the nipples toward the bottom of the breasts instead of centered over the most projecting point of the breasts.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

BA without lift

I found these cases the real challenge. The paradigm includes: what size you wish to be, the width of each breast (quite good along with minimal divergence/lateral orientation), the surgical technique to create the pocket and the selection of the implant.

I think you could have a very good result with a dual plane technique type 3 along with an anatomical implant (teardrop shape) with "extra-full projection" and adequate volume. I usually do not recommend very large implants because I do not think they give long term results.

Measurements are essential in confirming what above; as you said, placing the implant as low as possible is important - obviously with care to avoid double-bubble deformity.

I believe you should aim to a better and more natural result than what you posted above.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift or are implants sufficient

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I think you will obtain the best result with a combination of breast lift and implant placement. The implant will increase your breast size while the lift will help resize your areola and place your nipple into a higher, more youthful position.  Hope this helps.  

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a wise pattern breast lift. Your nipple sits below the inframammary fold and without a lift in addition to the implant, this will not have a natural shape.  A wise pattern lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

And the answer is...

Based on your photos which show small breasts with ptosis, it looks like breast implants with a lollipop lift would work out the best.  Don't think you would need an anchor though.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. It looks like a lift will be required in addition to placement of breast implants. I do not think you will achieve a satisfactory result with either augmentation or a lift alone. It is best to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of their work. Hope this helps and good luck!

Do I need a lift or will implants alone be sufficient?

Although nothing beats in-person evaluation when it comes to accurate assessment and advice, I think that it is most likely that you will benefit from circumareolar mastopexy (Benelli) as well as breast augmentation surgery.  I think that "crescent" breast lifting accomplishes little to nothing but exposes you to significant risk of areola elongation or distortion.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.