Labiaplasty - am I healing properly?! (photos)

I am day 8 after my labiaplasty procedure and I'm really worried as one side looks a lot shorter than the other. Is this due to swelling at this point? And will it even up and become less bulky? Or will I stay pretty much the same shape just a bit less swollen? I am also still getting a burning/sharp/sore pain around the clitorous area even though I was told this are wasn't touched, and it is very sensitive, is this normal? Please help me as I can't help but worry!

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition if you have concerns.

Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty - Am I Healing Properly?

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and the way in which your body heals.

Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Since you are only 8 days post-op it is not likely that you should be extremely worried about the progress you have made so far in the healing process. However, if you find yourself worried or concerned at all you should never hesitate to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure everything is going well.

Labiaplasty - am I healing properly?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have caused you concern.  At 8 days after your procedure you still have a number of weeks to go before your long-term results will be known as the thin tissues of the labia can swell significantly with surgery.  Allow your results at least 6 weeks to heal and then assess any residual asymmetry.  Hope this helps.

Uneven following labiaplasty...

Hello Becky,

Thank you for your question with photos, but a preop photo would help me answer your questions better.

First of all - please stay calm since the normal swelling following Labiaplasty will exaggerate the subtle differences and asymmetries that may no longer be a concern once you reach the 6 week postop period.

I can't be certain, without a preop photo, but it looks like you had redundant lateral prepuce (clitoral hood skin on either side of the central hood) which was reduced "some" as part of your Labiaplasty. If you did, this should have been fully reduced so as to create a nice small central hood that would be hidden by your labia majora. The labia minora seem to be nearly absent, I'd need a better close up and different angle to be certain.

For now, concentrate on healing and reserve your final judgment till you're fully healed. The clitoral sensitivity will go away.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

8 days post labiaplasty

Dear Becky2013:

You will not get the final post op result until you wait 6 - 8 weeks after surgery.  I will also tell you that your photos are not the best to do an evaluation, I know you tried to get good photos but they are from the best angle giving the doctors here on RS the ability to really evaluate you.  

However from what I can see ( and I might be wrong here as the photos are not totally revealing) 1) it appears your surgeon used a whip stitch ( the seams of an american baseball) and this is giving you a bumpy effect on your right side 2) it also appears as if you have excess lateral prepuce on your right side >> Left side  and I personally would have discussed this area with you preoperatively with the possibility of removal.   

I will tell you to attempt to sit back and allow for  the swelling to go down and then consider seeing another surgeon if you feel a secondary repair is necessary.  You may find that at the end of 6-8 weeks you are happy with the results. If you choose to have a revision surgery please choose a surgeon with experience, expertise, a great reputation and one who gets great results.  Your next surgery will most likely be your last and you don't want to have a surgeon who is incompetent, as I have seen more than one patient  botched and embarrassed to have intercourse for the rest of their lives.  A revision surgery specialist should have before and after photos of their work on their website. 

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai