I had a labiaplasty 5 months ago. And I'm extremely upset that it barely looks anything different. What shall I do?

I am 26 years old. Single mother. With anxiety and depression. I had saved for months to afford a labia plasty and finally went for it. The last appointment I had with the sergeon he made me feel like it was all in my head and told me I'm stressed. Not at all I had labia plasty told him a dozen times that I do not want my labia hanging out. He told me it wouldn't. I feel like he's using my mental health to dismiss the fact my vagina looks barely anything different. What can I do?

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful to treat swelling as well. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Now, since it has been about five months since your initial procedure there should likely be decent reduction of the swelling as well as the firmness of the tissue. If you are still feeling uncomfortable in your procedure area it would be best to visit your surgeon as soon as possible to have the healing progress evaluated and make sure that nothing needs to be done additionally to help assist the healing process. Best of luck to you!

If you don't like your results get a second opinion from an experience labiaplasty surgeon

Hello Hannah,Sorry to hear about your experience and not being happy with your final outcome. It's difficult to comment with many specifics without examining you and meeting you in person. If you feel he's blaming your mental status you should get a second, if not a third opinion. As cosmetic surgeons we are trained to identify patients with body dysmorphic disorder, I'm not saying you have this, but if you hear the same from several surgeons then there may be something there. Realize though, that not everyone will get that "ideal" outcome since many anatomical features may limit this. One should have realistic expectations that should be addressed before surgery.Now, if I had photos to look at and see room for improvement then I'd be able to help you further. You should seek out a consultation with a surgeon that is experienced in revision Labiaplasty since he/she would be better able to give you options and improve your results.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Asking about poor post-op results but no photos given- hard to be of help!

I am happy to answer your question if you can send us a file of close-up in focus before and after photos. Without these I cannot help you. That said, those patients who seek a true expert, do their research well, and do not let price be the determinant, generally are satisfied with their results. If you will seek a revision, seek a surgeon who has done "hundreds..!"
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, U?SA

Thank you for sharing your experience and questions and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult to render an opinion without a series of before and after pictures but in cases of an aesthetic procedure it is the patient's wishes that drives the type and extent of procedure performed.  Downplaying your concerns or using your mental health status is inappropriate and I would recommend seeking out a second opinion from a qualified labiaplasty surgeon.  Best wishes.

Labia revision

Dear Hannahtommy
Thanks for sharing.  I am sorry to hear of your dilemma and you are not happy with the results.  I would be highly cautious of letting the same surgeon redo your labia as he has not heeded your disappointment. I would politely ask him for some of your money back and then choose another surgeon.  Choosing a surgeon has little to do with board certification or even being a plastic surgeon.  You should choose a surgeon based upon experience, expertise, reputation and results.  All too often surgeons think they area experts in the field of cosmetic vaginal surgery yet when you read their testimonials they have very few testimonials or often no testimonials when it comes to cosmetic vaginal surgery. I would choose a surgeon wisely and choose them on reputation and results primarily.  Results can be determine by seeing dozens if not hundreds of before and after photos.  Do not let location, cost, being a plastic surgeon or board certification dictate choosing your surgeon. Choose a surgeon who can back up his work
John R Miklos MD Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty results barely look different 5 months later. What to do?

I'm sorry to hear of your distress. Seek a second opinion from a qualified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with a particular interest in female genital plastic surgery. Ask to see before-and-after photos or look for them on the doctor's website. Fortunately, it is much easier to remove more tissue, than it is replace it if too much was removed.For more information, click on the link below.All the best. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with underdone labiaplasty? Get a second opinion from a labiaplasty expert.

If you wish to have your labia minora reduced further, I recommend that you wait six months from the initial surgery for a revision. Seek out an expert in labiaplasty. Unfortunately, board certification in either plastic surgery or gynecology is no guarantee that your surgeon knows anything about labiaplasty or has ever done one This is procedure that is not taught in residency programs and not required for board certification. Wherever you go, ask to see lots of before and after photos and inquire about their experience specifically in labiaplasty.

Labiaplasty - no results

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this -
  • Your request was reasonable -
  • Many doctors prefer to not accept that they didn't get the result they wanted -
  • But blaming you is horrible. 
  • If your surgeon is a qualified plastic surgeon and knows what he's doing, he may have been too conservative. Ask him to revise it for a minor fee with local anesthesia in the office.
  • If he is not a qualified plastic surgeon or you do not trust him, you can lodge a complaint against him but the only option is to find another surgeon to have it done correctly.
  • But give this surgeon (if he is a qualified plastic surgeon) a second try -
  • Go with a friend to support you, stay calm, review your before/after photos with him and explain what you want him to do - firmly but politely. that's you best chance of a good outcome
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What to do

I'm sorry to hear that you are discouraged by your results.  If you don't feel that you've been able to communicate with your surgeon the best option is to persist.  You may need a second opinion.  Consider seeing another surgeon to get their thoughts.  If you have before photos then comparing your before and after photos will help to identify the changes, or lack of improvement.  Keeping lines of communication is important.  Be sure to communicate with your surgeon that you are unsatisfied with your result and ask for their advice on what can be done to revise or if patience and time is needed.  keep trying to communicate.  If that fails then you'd need to seek another surgeon's advice.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon