What kind of implant do I need to create a natural, full, draping effect? (Photos)

I am 5ft 7 with large B cups (BWD: 13.5 approx) To achieve my desired look (see photos) would I be better off with a tear drop or round implant?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, contour, shape, and texture of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Secrets to Obtaining a Natural Full Draping Effect in Breast Augmentation

Your desired results could be achieved with either a round or anatomic implant.  the key to achieving your result is selecting a low profile implant that can distribute its volume across the breast and using a technique that also allows this.   A high profile implant in either anatomic or round varieties cannot do this and a subpectoral approach cannot do this because it will limit the implants movement medially.  I prefer to use Allergan 410FM (full height lower profile anatomic) in  a subfascial plane to achieve this but a round low profile like an Allergan style 10 would work as well.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

What kind of implant do I need to create a natural, full, draping effect?

Greetings

Thank you for your question, Breast augmentation operation is performed in order to increase the size of breast. Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

the best certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel comfortable 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

What is the best implant for me?

Dear Toto

Many thanks for posting your question and photographs. Whilst your photographs are certainly helpful, they do not replace an in-person consultation. This is because seeing your breasts in the flesh, examining them and talking to you will all contribute to the best advice to give you.

I am sorry I am not being more specific, but it is often not as simple as a decision between round or anatomical implants - other implant dimensions, such as projection, are also important.

Good luck in taking things forwards

Thank you for your question.  I believe that your most important decision is to choose the most experienced best towards certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and follow the advice of that plastic surgeon when it comes to choice of implant.  My own preference and that of a majority of board-certified plastic surgeons who were surveyed any recent national meeting is that the smooth round silicone gel implants  are the ones most commonly used today.

Careful selection of plastic surgeon, not implant type, critical choice...

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. 

***Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. 

***Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.