Issues with having Liposuction at the same time as a Tummy Tuck?

A recent consultant has recommended that it is detrimental to your healing process to have liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck - it may increase your chances of a seroma. I had thought it would be better to have it at the same time (or before) to aid with the body contouring and success of the look of the final tummy tuck e.g. you wouldn't want the lip done after the TT. It would be good to understand the pro's and con's of doing the lipo and TT together v. separately.

Relatively recent change in thought

The traditional teaching has been that aggressive lipo of the abdomen should not be done at the same time as a tummy tuck. The thought was that the blood supply to the lower abdomen could be compromised and the healing impaired. Within the last couple years, more and more surgeons have reconsidered this belief and have become more willing to do liposuction at the same time. I'm not aware of any studies that show more seromas after tummy tuck with lipo that those without. Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Having Liposuction at the same time as Tummy Tuck

Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common.

The best thing to do would be to seek out local board certified plastic surgeons and schedule consultations to find out those who would best provide the procedures that can help with your desired final results.

Judicious liposuction at time of tummy tuck surgery is generally not a problem…

Generally speaking, liposuction is a tool that is often used during the time of tummy tuck surgery. Different plastic surgeons utilize this tool differently; some are more “aggressive” than others. In my practice, I frequently utilize this tool to treat adipose tissue of the flanks and pubic areas during the tummy tuck procedures.

In your case specifically, whether or not you should undergo liposuction surgery will depend mainly on your goals;  if you are concerned about adipose tissue of the flank or back areas, probably best to have the liposuctioning performed. 

I would suggest you spend additional time discussing your goals, plans, and expectations directly with your plastic surgeon, in front of a full length mirror.  Working together you will come up with the best plan to achieve the desired outcome. If you remain in doubt about your plastic surgeon's recommendations seek second in consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.