I'm looking to increase the volume in my breast would this be best achieved through a breast lift or implants? (photo)

Ive had 3 pregnancies & lost 50+lbs leaving my breasts very empty at top. I'm looking to make them fuller with a better shape & higher. Possibly slightly bigger. I currently wear size 34/36 D/DD cup but find the top in bras is very empty. I'm not unhappy at the size but would like them full so they fill the bras & look like they should. What would you recommend to achieve the desired look? Would an uplift loose much in size or would it just raise it? And what is the life of an implant nowadays?

BA BL and #breast size

BA BL and #breast size
The size is determined by the implants.   the lift tightens your own breast tissue and will not change the size of your breasts, bra, dress, bathing suits and so on.

See the video below to help choose your implant

Combo: lift + implants

While a lift alone would improve the breast shape, it doesn't give the full round look that implants give to the upper part of the breast.  I think the combination of implants + lift could give you a lovely result.  Pick out a proportionally sized implant with your local plastic surgeon, then he/she can tailor the loose skin of the breast with the lift.

Lift and augmentation

Thank you for the photos and from them without an examination it would appear you would benefit from a lift and augmentation to get the desired result.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast lift or implants?

Your goals could be achieved with a breast uplift and implants. The uplift in itself would improve the shape of your breasts (with minimal changes in size) while the implants would add volume, particularly at the top.
The lifespan of implants is variable, and there is no way to predict it exactly. Implants do not have an expiration date, but having them means that you will have more surgical procedures (replacement, size adjustment or removal, for example) over your life. As a wild guess, you may expect your implants to last about 10-15 years.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift

Hello and thanks for reaching out to us! Based on your photos, I think you would benefit most from a breast lift with implants. When I discuss with my patients about breast lifting techniques and also use of implants, I break down the different topics into parts.

The easy way to decipher what each procedure produces is that implants increase breast volume and add upper pole fullness. Implants are placed in either a subglandular or subpectoral pocket centered over the left and right chest breast footprint. In your case, because your skin appears thin, I would recommend subpectoral placement. When you have ptosis/sagging, where the nipple-areola complex is at the fold or lower, your breast will continue to hang off of your chest onto your upper abdomen even after implants. In fact, in patients with such sagging who undergo an augmentation without a lift, their breast tissue hangs off of the implant that is sitting on their chest, creating a shape like Snoopy's nose, hence called a "snoopy" deformity. Implants can not give a therapeutic lift and taking shortcuts will only lead to suboptimal results. In some borderline cases of ptosis, breast augmentation can be performed and if there is unsatisfactory sagging, then a lift can be performed later at a second stage, but in your case, an in person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon will be most instrumental in going over your lifting options in conjunction with implants.

Two lifting techniques that are very good ones in the right patient and I use are based on the following:
1) if it is mainly the nipple position that needs lifting, I like the circumareolar approach (also called a donut lift)
vs
2) if a large portion of the breast tissue/weight needs to be lifted, a circumvertical and sometimes a full anchor incision is needed as the circumareolar approach in my mind is not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast and results in stretching of the areola and drooping over time.

Click on the link referenced below and scroll down and the two examples listed are of patients whom had both mastopexy and augmentation and you can see one patient in whom the circumareolar approach was sufficient whereas the other needed the circumvertical incision. I hope this helps you!

Sincerely, 
Dr. Sean Kelishadi
@sskplasticsurg on Instagram

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast lift vs augmentation with lift

Thank you for your question.  Based on your pictures and your goals (fuller and possibly bigger), I feel that you would need both a lift and the use of an implant to help restore more fullness especially in the upper pole.  This can be done in one or two stages as a lift and augmentation have competing forces of tightening the breast and and making it smaller, while an implant is making the breast larger.  I would consult your plastic surgeon to see what is the best choice for you.  Best of Luck!

Dr. Tag

Breast Lift

Thank you for your photos. It is a pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you a breast lift.
Women´s breast change and normally get saggy after weight loss, pregnancy, breastfeeding, aging, etc.This procedure raises the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour. Breast Lift could be done with or without implants. If you want your breast to look perkier and have an upper pole fullness, I recomend it with implants. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Carlos Recio, MD
Cali Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question and photos.
Your breasts have changed with 3 pregnancies and weight loss.  Pregnancy, breast feeding and weight gain all will add volume to the breasts.  After delivery and/or breast feeding, as well as with weight loss, the breasts lose volume and shape.  The result is drooping breasts with nipples pointing downward.
A mastopexy, or breast lift, will restore the position of the nipples and the shape of the breasts.  Generally, this often results in a reduction in up to one cup size in standard bras.  However, the superior pole (upper part of the breast) is often still deficient with a breast lift alone.  
Most patients desire the addition of volume to the breasts to create a more pleasing contour, and consequently a more beautiful result.   Volume can restored with the use of implants, or with fat transfers to the breasts.  Fat transfers are ideal if your Plastic Surgeon plans on adding smaller volumes to specific areas of the breasts, such as the superior poles.
Breast implants are available in many different shapes and sizes, but the use of implants alone, is unlikely to achieve the desired results.   You will be best served to consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to review your clinical situation and offer options to acheive the look you are seeking.

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

I'm looking to increase the volume in my breast would this be best achieved through a breast lift or implants?

From your photos- you appear to be a good candidate for mastopexy ( breast lift) and augmentation with implants placed sub-muscular for more volume. You can also do a lift first- wait until you heal and then if you still desire more volume have a breast augmentation with implants.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will be a very good candidate, hugs!!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD