Have my implants settled too high? (photos)

My surgeon recommended strongly that I had enough breast tissue for over the muscle placement but after research I decided on dual plane which he agreed to. I had my op 31 days ago, 475cc dual plane high profile. My surgeon informed me I would be able to achieve a very natural breast shape with this. Are they likely to settle into a more natural position in the coming weeks, or is something not right here? I've read about girls having to have a second op as their implants settled too high.

High Implants

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

Flagstaff Plastic Surgeon

Tight skin

Your skin is tight and needs to stretch to accommodate the implants. The implants will continue to soften and drop over the coming weeks and months and it will take 3-6months before you can start judging the result. Keep in touch with your PS.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Post op concerns

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Too Early

It may take many months, especially if you're younger with very tight skin and muscle for that breast implant to stretch everything out such that I can drop down to the bottom of the pocket. Be patient, ask your plastic surgeon about massage or a Bando strap. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Have my implants settled too high?

Thank you for your question and photos.
You are very early in the recovery process and your breast implants will likely continue to settle for many months. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Best wishes for an outcome you will be very pleased with.

Implant settling

At only one month postop you are still very early in the recovery phase. It will take 6 months for the implants to settle.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Implants need to settle

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in your recovery phase. You may continue to notice softening of the implants as they settle in the pocket. You need to allow yourself up to 6 months for your final results. I suggest you continue to follow-up with your operating surgeon as directed. Best of luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breasts high

Try not to worry. It is still early in your recovery. Breasts can take 3 - 6 months to soften and drop into position. Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and contact him or her with any concerns. Best of luck.

Too early to evaluation your outcome

Thanks for your post.  Don't be discouraged!  The process of healing and implant settling takes 3-6 months.  Evaluating the symmetry, size, and shape beforehand at this point (1 month) is far too premature.  I tell my patients that initially the implants will feel firm and high.  This will change.  You should expect that the implants will continue to drop over the next few months.  Good luck and congrats on your new body!