Are my Implants are making me sick?

I have 380 cc mhp implants 8 years ago I suffer every day with different symptoms and pain in breasts. if I had a full explant and uplift would this still give me the fullness?

Implants making me sick?

This is a very confusing topic. For many years breast implants have been accused of causing many different diseases  as a matter of fact years ago silicone implants were pulled from the market because of these allegations. The FDA approved them and  they were placed back on the market  Nevertheless there are still many women that complained of issues that could possibly be related to an immune reaction to their breast implants. The basic problem is that many women have complaints with implants Likewise many women have autoimmune diseases, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia,.   There are no studies that definitely show a causal relationship  However  in my experience I have seen several patients over the years that had debilitating symptoms and these were relieved by explantation. Therefore when I speak with patients that have these issues I tell them that it is possible to  relieve their symptoms with implant removal but it is not possible to tell if that will happen until after the fact Unfortunately there is no blood test or other test that can determine whether or not patients or respond to implant removal. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The only way to know is have your implants removed.  Breast implant removal should be performed with complete en bloc capsulectomy. The capsule should not be left in place or the space will not heal. In patients that believe that their implants are causing them illness, leaving the capsule behind will not result in any improvement in their symptoms.  After the explantation with capsulectomy is healed, you can develop an plan for further surgery if it is warranted and is safe from a technical standpoint.

Implant Removal

The only way to know if your implants are making you sick is to take them out.  I would suggest you do that for your own peace of mind.  So far there have been no associations with implants and autoimmune disorders. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant removal

Hello and thank you for your question. There have been numerous claims about implants and autoimmune disorders. Thus far there have been no associations with implants and autoimmune disorders. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician