Are my implants too big for my frame?

hi, I'm looking for some advice please, I had my breast implants changed, The surgeon said I'd have to go bigger to uplift my breasts, He ended up using a 525cc implant, I've been suffering with bad Back pain between my shoulder blades, I'm only 5ft and size 6/ 8. U can feel all the implant around the edge I have difficulty shaving under my arms, due to the implant been quit far into my armpit, also I get lumps at the bottom of my implants, I've been told these are folds . Many thanks

Problems with large implants

From what you have described,it is a common misconception that large implants will lift the breast. A better plan maybe you switch out large implants for smaller silicone gel implants and do an overlying breast lift. Ask your chosen surgeon their advice. Good luck.

Breast implants

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about the issues that your implants have caused you.  Your best resource regarding how to best deal with the issues that you have been experiencing is your surgeon.  Unfortunately implants alone will NOT lift the breasts.  Instead, you might want to consider a breast lift if the desired result is to have lifted breasts.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Large Breast Implants Do Not Lift Breasts

Thank you for your question about breast implants.

Large breast implants do not lift breasts. This simply adds more size and weight which causes them in the long run to hang more.

Usually, a breast lift with implants is a better option.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have breast implant revision surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Large implants

Thank you for your question and sorry you are having some trouble post-operatively.  i would recommend a revision discussion with your surgeon or another surgeon you feel comfortable with.  It sounds like you may be better off with a smaller implant size and also breast lift.   

Some general advice I give patients regarding breast surgery:

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Cheers and best wishes!
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Are my implants too big for my frame?

I appreciate your question.

From your description, it sounds like yes, your implants are too large for your frame.  I would recommend you discuss revision options with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Are my implants too big for my frame?

Dear Mandi marie,

More information might be needed to get better advice from the answering physicians.
First think about what you had stated as your goals for your replacement surgery. Did you want more fullness up top? Were you wanting more volume or more firmness? Was a mastopexy or breast lift suggested? Sometimes people may want one thing (more fullness up top) but not another (no more volume or scars) and you are kind of stuck because it is not always possible to get everything you want.

How much bigger are your current implants from what was replaced? How long ago was your surgery? Could you possibly include your weight and a photo? These might all be helpful.

Patients all have differing goals and taste, as do surgeons. There is no question that large breasts can be cumbersome and uncomfortable, but for some people it seems to bring them unquestionable joy. In my opinion, to big is a bigger problem than too small.  You certainly have options.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

Thanks for your question. Photos would be very helpful to us providing you information. It does sound like you have fairly large implant for your small frame. An option would be down-sizing the implants, and even consideration of a breast lift if need be. It really comes down to getting the look that you are after. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Implants too big?

Thank you for your question regarding your implant size.  Increasing the size of your implants will not lift your breasts. If the nipples are too low, a breast lift (mastopexy) in addition to the implant may be necessary. The size of your implant should be based on your chest measurements (base width, skin stretch, etc..), not decided arbitrarily. If the implant extends to your 'armpit', then it most certainly is too wide for your chest. However, without pictures it is hard to say exactly. Please discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Big implants to lift the breasts

I am sorry to say this, but big implants do not uplift the breasts. It is a common mistake, that always ends up in a situation like yours: implants are too big for the rest of the body, breasts become even saggier very soon, and rippling/implant visibility ruins the cosmetic result. Your best option at this point would most likely be a revision with smaller implants and a proper breast uplift. 

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Too large?

Without photos, it is impossible to say, but based on your description and your new back pain, I would say that, yes, your implants are too large for your frame. Discuss exchanging them for a smaller size with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD