Best implant size? How to choose? (Photo)

My appointement with surgeon on 28th october Im so nervous about the size my doc will say I want a big one 500cc + Im an A cup with 15cm breast width Im worried my doc will say something like 350 . Im tall 5"9 139lbs

How to choose the best breast size?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

BA Size

Hello and thank you for your questions. Remember, it is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can in person examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. Bringing several photos of your "ideal" look can be helpful as well. During the consultation is a review and discussion about the incision location, implant placement, implant size and shape, type of the implants and recovery period. There are several key differences and some similarities in the types and shapes of breast implants. It is best to see and feel in person the different sizes, shapes and textures of the various implants during a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

Hi there Adrienn

This is the most common and challenging aspect of breast implant surgery.

The place I start is with what you are trying to achieve.  That is an estimate of how big you want to be, and the type of look you would like.

The next factor is your anatomy. As you have suggested the width of your chest is important, but also the shape and volume of your existing breast tissue, the amount of your soft tissue, the height of your breast, the distance between your fold and your nipple, the shape of your chest and finally the proportion of your chest relative to your abdomen.

That will give me a range of implants that will be appropriate for each patient's situation. I then use Vectra simulations to give you an indication of what that can look like for you.

The actual volume is just a product of the dimensions of the implant that we choose in order to achieve the outcome you want. Being fixed on an actual volume of implant in general is not a good idea, there is much more to it than that.

I hope that is helpful

Best implant size? How to choose?

thank you for your question.  Have excellent breast anatomy and should be able to achieve a very nice result with breast implants.

Your most important decision is your choice of an experienced ethical board certified plastic surgeon. I recommend 2 consultations with different surgeons.

Your breast implant size should be based on the measurement of your breast base width and if you width is 15 you should be able to accommodate a very large implant.

To learn more about choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Selection of the best implant type and volume for you will take place with a careful, detailed consultation with your surgeon.  There are multiple factors to consider when choosing a breast implant that will provide you with a result that meets your desired goals.  In our practice, we have found a 3D imaging system such as Vectra to be very useful in simulating potential outcomes with various implant styles and volumes.  Of course, it is always important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can ensure the highest level of safety and quality of care.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Best implant size? How to choose?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Correct size breast implants

whilst you should be able to get what you want from this operation, it is very easy to become over enthusiastic and make decisions that you later regret. A personal consultation with a surgeon should help you make an informed decision about what type, shape and size of implant will give you the kind of result you are looking for whilst minimising the risks, complications and  long-term problems associated with bigger implants. I have found a 3-D imaging invaluable in helping patients make informed choices and I would recommend that you seek consultation with someone who can offer this service. You will then be able to understand more fully implications of your choices which will help you get the best possible result. Good luck 

What size implants

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want, this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes as well as shapes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system, in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it can, not only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be. In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant, among other things also play a role in trying to decide which implant will look best on each individual patient. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast sizer using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.