Best implant size? How to choose? (Photo)

My appointement with surgeon on 28th october Im so nervous about the size my doc will say I want a big one 500cc + Im an A cup with 15cm breast width Im worried my doc will say something like 350 . Im tall 5"9 139lbs

I would not get your hopes up for a 500cc+ implant.

Hi Adrienn, I hope that your consultation went well.  It is very common for people to fixate on the size of the implant, but it is important to realise that the width, shape and profile of the implant are crucial in giving you a good result.  Based on your photograph, a 500cc+ implant seems quite big for your frame, but I am sure you would have had a more accurate assessment when you visited your surgeon.

I would be interested to hear how you get on.  Good luck.

How to choose the best breast size?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

BA Size

Hello and thank you for your questions. Remember, it is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can in person examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. Bringing several photos of your "ideal" look can be helpful as well. During the consultation is a review and discussion about the incision location, implant placement, implant size and shape, type of the implants and recovery period. There are several key differences and some similarities in the types and shapes of breast implants. It is best to see and feel in person the different sizes, shapes and textures of the various implants during a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

Hi there Adrienn

This is the most common and challenging aspect of breast implant surgery.

The place I start is with what you are trying to achieve.  That is an estimate of how big you want to be, and the type of look you would like.

The next factor is your anatomy. As you have suggested the width of your chest is important, but also the shape and volume of your existing breast tissue, the amount of your soft tissue, the height of your breast, the distance between your fold and your nipple, the shape of your chest and finally the proportion of your chest relative to your abdomen.

That will give me a range of implants that will be appropriate for each patient's situation. I then use Vectra simulations to give you an indication of what that can look like for you.

The actual volume is just a product of the dimensions of the implant that we choose in order to achieve the outcome you want. Being fixed on an actual volume of implant in general is not a good idea, there is much more to it than that.

I hope that is helpful

Richard

How to choose the best implant size.

That is a great question.  You have to spend some time thinking about the tradeoffs and your goals.  I think that a 500 cc implant may be too large for your frame and may cause problems down the road leading you to regret your decision. The proper size depends on your tissue dimensions, especially the width of your breast and the distance from the nipple to breast fold on stretch.    I recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can measure your anatomy and make appropriate recommendations.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Best implant size? How to choose?

thank you for your question.  Have excellent breast anatomy and should be able to achieve a very nice result with breast implants.

Your most important decision is your choice of an experienced ethical board certified plastic surgeon. I recommend 2 consultations with different surgeons.

Your breast implant size should be based on the measurement of your breast base width and if you width is 15 you should be able to accommodate a very large implant.

To learn more about choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Selection of the best implant type and volume for you will take place with a careful, detailed consultation with your surgeon.  There are multiple factors to consider when choosing a breast implant that will provide you with a result that meets your desired goals.  In our practice, we have found a 3D imaging system such as Vectra to be very useful in simulating potential outcomes with various implant styles and volumes.  Of course, it is always important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can ensure the highest level of safety and quality of care.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Best implant size? How to choose?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Correct size breast implants

whilst you should be able to get what you want from this operation, it is very easy to become over enthusiastic and make decisions that you later regret. A personal consultation with a surgeon should help you make an informed decision about what type, shape and size of implant will give you the kind of result you are looking for whilst minimising the risks, complications and  long-term problems associated with bigger implants. I have found a 3-D imaging invaluable in helping patients make informed choices and I would recommend that you seek consultation with someone who can offer this service. You will then be able to understand more fully implications of your choices which will help you get the best possible result. Good luck 

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon