I have wound separation from the wedge. Will this heal or will I have to be revised for certain? (Photo)

Wound separation after labiaplasty

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You have separation of both labia and will definitely need revisions of both sides. The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

I have wound separation from the wedge. Will this heal or will I have to be revised for certain?

I'm sorry to hear about your post operative complication. Based on your photo and the type of labiaplasty performed, you will likely need revision in the future once you have healed. Some superficial separations will heal with local wound care but in your situation it appears the entire incision has broken down. It is best to allow the area to fully heal and then readdress the area with your surgeon to discuss revision. It is important that during the healing process you follow your surgeons post operative instructions to prevent infection or further incisional issues.

Your broken wedge labiaplasty scar will never come back together on it's own

Wedge labiaplasty scars are the weakest scars of all labiaplasty techniques. This is undisputed. Nonetheless, when a scar separates it will stay separated. A revision will be needed, but you should wait at least six months for the tissues to regain full strength capable of holding stitches than they did the first time around. See a labiaplasty expert for this.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to see your wound healing difficulty.  Much, if not all, of your wedge incision appears to have separated in your picture.  It appears significant enough that despite conservative healing you will likely require a revision procedure to better approximate the tissues in order to avoid a notch or other unnatural appearance.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, but also try to avoid pulling on your tissues as it will cause the separation to worsen. Best wishes.