5 weeks post op, and suffering bad sharp shooting pains in my left armpit inside shooting to the back of my nipple? (Photo)

I have sharp shooting pains in my left armpit down into my my nipple. If I use my arm at a certain right angle it feels like someone is pulling my nipple from inside my beast with a string. It's very painful, especially in the mornings!? What could this be?

5 weeks post op, and suffering bad sharp shooting pains in my left armpit inside shooting to the back of my nipple?

Pain such as you describe can indicate nerve healing after breast augmentation.It can take a long time to resolve especially if the nerev was injured under the arm pit. See your plastic surgeon. In some cases a medication calle Neurontin can help.

Post Op "Zingers"

Thank you for your question and congratualtions on your recent procedure! You're still very early in the healing process and it's not uncommon to experience occasional "zingers" or numbness throughout the healing process for months to come. Should they become unbearable, it's best to schedule a follow up with your surgeon to rule out any concerning factors. Good luck and congrastulastions again!

Nerve pain

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. What you are describing is not uncommon and could be just a nerve stretch.  It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Sharp post op pains

Based on your description, it sounds as if your pain is due to your nerves stretching to accommodate the implant. This isn't unusual and should resolve with time. Let your surgeon know what's going on, but this is a normal part of the recovery process.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain 5 weeks after breast augmenation

There is nothing abnormal looking in your photo.  Pains as you describe can be related to muscle or nerve stretch in the first 2-3 months after surgery. I would still recommend you be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.  Sometimes a physical therapy can be used to help.  

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pain 5 weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  In the earlier postoperative phase from breast augmentation (i.e. inside of 3 months), your tissues are still healing and accommodating the new contour.  Nerves are stretched and irritated often causing intermittent pain.  I have heard patients describe sensations of burning, sharp pain, dull ache, shooting pains, tingling, etc.  These may be completely absent one day and a real nuisance the next.  They may be related to certain motions (especially when the implants are placed underneath the muscle).  In nearly all cases, this will resolve over time.  Obviously keep your surgeon aware of your concerns as only he or she can rule out any deviation from normal recovery with an examination.  So far you looks like you will have an excellent result.  Good luck!