I've had stubborn fat for 12 years. I have exercised and strict diet but nothing has changed. How to get rid of the fat? (Photo)

Doctor Answers 5

I've had stubborn fat for 12 years. I have exercised and strict diet but nothing has changed. How to get rid of the fat?

Thanks for your photographs.  Despite your best efforts it appears that you do carry a lot of intra-abdominal fat that is not amenable to plastic surgery.  Only you can decide with your physician whether your girth warrants a procedure such as a gastric bypass or banding procedure.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Liposuction - Intra-abdominal fat?

Thank you for your question. You appear to have an excess amount of intra-abdominal fat. This is fat beneath your anterior abdominal wall and can be lost with a strict diet and exercise program. You may be a candidate for gastric bypass surgery. I suggest discussing this with your primary care physician. I hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Stubborn fat that does not go away

Thank you for asking about your abdominal fat.

  • Unfortunately, the bulk of your fat appears to be on your abdomen and located internally
  • This means it is around the liver and other organs and cannot be removed with any surgery.
  • If you are more than 100 pounds overweight, you might be a candidate for a gastric bypass.
  • If not, there is no option except weight loss.
  • Lots of exercise and counting calories so you eat no more than 1800 calories a day is the answer.
  • This usually means - no cakes, sweets of any kind, cokes, cookies, pies, pastry, ice cream, snacks, second servings; no alcohol and no other drinks of any kind with calories - just water, black tea and black coffee - with fresh vegetables and fruit at every meal, without any dressings. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Stubborn fat

I would recommend a nutritionist and a trainer to assist you in your efforts. If your unable to have successful weight loss you may consider seeing a bariatric surgeon for consultation. 

Good luck


Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Stubborn Fat

Unfortunately, much of your fat looks to be intra-abdominal and can only be treated with dieting and weight reduction.

You have some skin laxity and laxity of your abdominal wall.  If these are a problem, abdominoplasty can be considered.  This is best once you have achieved any weight loss.

A member of BAAPS should be able to counsel you for your concerns.

Douglas McGeorge, MBChB
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon
3.4 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.