I have a sternum tattoo (under my boobs, curving by the crease) how will this affect my Breast Implants/Augmentation? (photo)

So I am 5ft1 about 8st, a 34A cup currently and will be 23 when I have my surgery. I have a tattoo under my boobs which I am now worried will affect the size I can go for my BA as I don't want the tattoo to go onto my breasts but still sit under it :s I am so nervous & want to go atleast a D cup... Can someone help me please? I need to know how it's going to look after and if it is likely the tattoo will end up on my new breasts please? My consultation is 22/09 & surgery is 12/10/16 x

Will augmentation affect my tattoo on my chest?

Cool Tattoo.  I place all my implants through a crease incision directly in the new crease down from the nipple and just below or lateral to a line down from your inner areola. This is the area in the fold that is most covered by your new breast volume.  Your tattoo may be expanded a little with your augmentation but with it's location should be largely unchanged depending on the size of the implant chosen.  Best.  drb

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

I don't believe that your tattoo will be affected by the augmentation.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to be sure that you are both in agreement.

Camille Cash, MD

Tatto not on the breast, should not be affected by augmentation

While I agree there is no guarantee, a tatto that sits below the natural breast crease should not be affected by breast augmentation.  You appear to have a natural inferior pole of the breast that does not need to be lowered, there fore the implant should simply expand the breast you have without pulling skin (and therefore tattoo) up onto the breast.  Please see board certified plastic surgeons and discuss your concerns.  An exam should allow them to reassure you or give caution.   Best of luck! 

Melinda Haws, MD

Breast augmentation with a sternum tattoo

From the pictures you posted, I believe, although there is no guarantee, that you could get a very nice result (no matter what size you choose) without it affecting your tattoo. Pregnancy and significant weight change (10% or more) could affect your results in the future. With or without implants, the milk of pregnancy can stretch you and can  leave you the same size, bigger, smaller or droopier, which then might affect your tattoo at that time. Good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sternum tattoo and breast augmentation

Since the incision in most breast augmentation procedures are placed under the nipples then your tattoo will not be affected, though it may be expanded a little as expected with the stretch of your skin after the augmentation procedure.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You are starting with good anatomy and it doesn't look as though your folds would be intentionally lowered. When you explain your goals and concerns with an experienced Plastic Surgeon you should expect to be reassured that your Tattoo and breasts will look the way you want.

All the best

Won't affect the surgery

This tattoo will have no effect at all on the breast augmentation surgery.  It will still look the same.