I have just had revision surgery after capsular contracture in left breast; I am now paranoid that it is happening again?

I have just had revision surgery after capsular contracture in left breast. ( original op was 12 years ago. ) I am now paranoid, 9 days in as left one is sore and more swollen than right that it is happening again. How soon would I know if contracture happened again ?My surgeon used anatomical implants this time and I am also worried about them rotating. I just feel permanently stressed about it all.Will doing minimum movement prevent rotation?

Post Op Capsular Contracture Concerns

Activity restrictions, bleeding prevention and careful support for your implants while healing are all important to reduce your risks. Asymmetric pain and swelling can be normal to a degree but I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about your concerns and follow up closely with them.

All the best

Highly unlikely to develop capsular contracture after only 9 days. You may have more swelling in one breast due to a more extensive dissection/surgery in that breast but best to check in with your operating surgeon so you can be properly evaluated in person. Good luck!

Recurrent CC?

Nine days after surgery is really too short a time frame to develop recurrent capsular contracture. Best bet is to follow up with your surgeon and follow their advice on how best to try to prevent a recurrence.

Contracture

Thank you for your question.  It is far too early to tell if you will develop a contracture.  It will take 3-4 months for the capsule to form completely.   I encourage you to express all your concerns to your surgeon and to follow all post op instructions.  Be sure that you are not exercising or getting your blood pressure up, you want to prevent any bleeding in the pocket to decrease your risk of developing a capsular contracture.  Best of luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Risk of capsular contracture

I am sorry to hear about the complications. It is completely okay to feel frustrated or paranoid, but you must remain positive and hopeful.

I am assuming you had a capsulectomy in which your implant and capsule surrounding the implant was removed. If this is the case, then it is too early for the capsule (i.e., fibrous tissue) to form again. It will take at least a few months for the capsule to reform and this will naturally happen as our body reacts to foreign devices. However, it may not necessarily contract. The recurrence rate of capsular contracture ranges from 18-39%. For contraction to occur, the capsule has to be aggravated and inflamed. Additionally, if there is some bacterial infection near the capsule, this too can activate the inflammatory response leading to contracture.

One thing to be mindful of is that a textured implant which is often the surface characteristic of anatomical implant, can aggravate the surrounding breast tissue resulting in inflammation and fluid collection. The textured surface is used to minimize the risk of implant rotation through its adherent and frictional properties. Considering all this, it would help if you minimize movement of your arms and chest as this could cause further swelling.

Right now you shouldn’t worry about this, however, you should maintain follow-up with your surgeon for a while to make sure the breast is healing well. Their instructions should take precedence over everything else you read here.

Martin Jugenburg, MD