I feel as if my nipples seem too low on the breast. Will my implants settle even though they are above the muscle? (Photo)

23 years old, 1 week post op. Breast augmentation with mastopexy. Implant placed above muscle. Feel as though one breast looks larger than the other, much more than before surgery. Also my nipples look too low on the breast. Also how much does the implant settle if it's placed above the muscle.

Post breast lift with augmentation

You are still early in the healing process after breast augmentation/lift. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. It can take 4-6 months before the implants look and feel like they belong to you. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck!  Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area #realself #breastaugmentation #breastlift #drdeanvistnes

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I feel as if my nipples seem too low on the breast. Will my implants settle even though they are above the muscle

You are still very early into your recovery. Your implants should settle in more over the next several weeks which will lift the nipples a little more. Everyone heals at different rates, and you may continue to see minor changes throughout the first year. Right now, just be patient and follow all of your post op instructions from your surgeon so that everything continues to heal correctly. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

You are too early post surgery

Please wait till your tissue has healed to judge the final results. It would take upto 3 months for swelling to resolve and implants to settle. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants plus uplift

It is very early days for you. Swelling takes time to settle and it will take about 3 to 6 months for the tissue swelling to settle reasonably. The same applies to the implants too. Your breasts will assume a more natural position with the nipples slighly higher and the breasts a bit fuller in the lower part as the months go by.

Post-Op Healing with Nipples and Scars

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. So, while you are still early in the healing process, if you have any questions or concerns or find yourself uncomfortable it is a good idea to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck to you!

Nipple position and final aesthetic result

You are far too early to tell how things will settle. Your breasts are swollen likely contributing to the size difference. As for as nipple position, the implants should settle over time and the nipples will be in a better position. This could take 3-6 months, just depends on your body and how you heal. Don't stress, too early for that. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Nipple position

You are too early in the post period to get a good sense of how things will settle. I would give it at least 3-4 months and maybe longer.

Too early to judge outcome

Based on these pictures there is much settling left to come.  At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.

Nipples Too Low After Breast Augmentation With Breast Lift?

You are only ONE WEEK post op. You have MONTHS of healing ahead of you. Your only concerns right now should be meticulous hygiene, avoiding infection, scar treatment, and following your surgeon's directions. Your breasts look as they should one week out from surgery. The breasts are sisters, not twins. Some asymmetry should be expected even after everything has settled, especially as you had asymmetry prior to your surgery. Right now it appears as if you have the expected amount of swelling which precludes seeing your final result. Your final result won't occur for months down the road when your swelling has resolved and the implants have settled. As for your areolas and nipples being too low, it is too early too critique. As your implants shift down and the tissue on the bottom of your breast stretches, your areolas and nipples will rotate up. If they were in the position you feel is appropriate right now, by the time everything settled, they'd be too high on your chest. Even if your areolas and nipples end up being "too low," a revision wouldn't occur for a minimum of six months after your initial surgery. Furthermore, it is far easier to correct areolas that are too low than too high. You really should convey your concerns to your plastic surgeon. I'm sure s/he would be more than happy to address your concerns.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Breast Lift and Implants

Rest assured that things will change. It is early and settling will occur. Additionally, swelling is present and can often cause the appearance to be altered.  The body doesn't know to swell evenly, and thus one side can appear as a different size. Changes will occur rapidly over the next several days and will continue for many months. Hang in there and enjoy your results.

Gary Vela, MD, FACS