I have had a fat graft in the cheeks, the surgeon overfilled the area extremely, and too low in the face. Any suggestions?

I have had a fat graft in the cheeks, the surgeon overfilled the area extremely, and too low in the face. He tried using a dilute steroid injection but this did not do anything.I am a year post op and I look horrible, my cheeks look so abnormal and I can tell people notice that I look so weird. This has made me so depressed. I am 25 and don't want to have depression forever so I need to remove the fat from my cheeks but I don't know who to go to. I will travel to have this removed if I must.

Too much fat grafted to cheeks

Do not despair - this problem can be fixed, but it will likely require some type of surgery to remove the fat - either liposuction or direct removal via an incision. I would visit with a Board Certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are and which would be best for you. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

FAT transfer to the face - complications

Fat transfer in the cheeks doesn't last symmetrically!

We need to make a facial analysis with palpation to notice the right position of the fat lumps and decide the treatment, subcision, aspiration, compression, and rarely incisions.

But after a reshaping in needed with the SVF in deep layers.

Roger Amar, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Fat graft removal

This is becoming a common problem.

The first attempt should be with micro-liposuction. Sometimes the fat graft is fibrosed and can not be liposuctioned. Then the only alternative is to approach it through a facelift incision and remove and sculpt the face.