I would like to know what could be done about my under eye area at the young age of 21?

Hi! I seem to have a mix of under eye bags and hollow eyes (please correct me if I am wrong!). I am 21 year of age and I feel as though they make me look a lot older than I am and also very tired. I am the only one in the family to have such prominent eyes under my bags, which I find quite unsettling, especially as I am the youngest in the family. Please may you advise me on non intrusive and intrusive options? Thank you so much. Rhianne.

Eye

The bone beneath your eye is retrusive which makes your eye look prominent. That bone could be augmented with an infraorbital rim implant and lessen the apparent projection of your eye.

Fraxel® light resurfacing is my got to treatment of choice for under eye area. As this is a very innovative technique, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags -- Restylane or Belotero, Clear+Brilliant/Fraxel, Eclipse Micropen, Viva/Intensif

Lasers, microneedling/PRP, fillers and skin care/peels can all help this area. Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Under eye bags or hollowing

Dear Patient from Great Britain,

Photos of your eyes looking forward and upward and another with overhead light would be helpful in evaluating your particular condition.

There are individuals who have true hollowing under the eyes at an early age and fillers can help improve this condition.

There are others who have fullness in the lower lids creating hollowing beneath the fullness and they are best addressed surgically.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Young eye bags

THanks for your question. Unfortunately, there are no photos so it is difficult to really know how to answer your question. The hollow under the eyes could be treated with filler if done well. If the eye bags are pronounced, they can sometimes be (temporarily) reduced with an injection of hyaluronidase. The other treatments for eye bags are a bit more aggressive, such as laser resurfacing or surgical excision. This is usually a family trait but see a cosmetic doctor to have a look at them and help you make a good decision.

Rick Balharry, MD
Calgary Physician