I have developed melasma on my upper lip and have white pigmentation spots on my forehead. Please help! So embarrassing!

I have developed melasma on my upper lip and have white pigmentation spots on my forehead. I'm only 23 and I'm on Yasmin (hormonal pill) I have been on accutane in the past too. Could any of these be causing it? And if I stop taking the pill could this go away? It's very embarrassing and looks like a mustache. Many thanks

Solutions for melasma.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. I like the Clear and Brilliant laser to help reduce recurrence - 1927 Permea with ascorbic acid topically. 

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

More information on available treatments in the Web Reference below.  All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist