I had a deep plane face and neck lift four months ago. (photos)

I had my face and neck lift four months ago . I was told I had moderate sagging in the Joel's and neck . I am happy with the mid face but not happy with the neck . My Joel is returning on the right side and I appear to have more lines on my neck than I had before surgery . Please could you tell me how this could if possible be improved

Unhappy with deep plane facelift and neck lift results

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, there is some natural relaxation that occurs after undergoing face/neck lift.  The amount of relaxation can vary from one patient to another.  For this reason, most experienced facelift surgeons will "over-correct" to some degree to accommodate for some anticipated relaxation.  However, even in the most experienced hands, sometimes things can relax more than we would like, and a revision procedure is sometimes indicated to provide additional tightening in the neck.  Although you did not provide preop pictures for comparison, it appears that you have some recurring laxity in the submental region of the neck with some laxity of the skin and underlying platysma muscle which is creating a band.  I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with your primary surgeon.  You will likely benefit from a revision submentoplasty at some point to trim and tighten the platysma muscle and re-drape the sagging skin.  I usually recommend waiting 9 - 12 months before performing any revision procedures to allow you to fully recover from the initial procedure.  Iw ish you the best in your recovery and in achieving your aesthetic goals.

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck rejuvenation

Thank you for the question and photos.  The neck is often the hardest part of facial/neck rejuvenation to consistently get perfectly smooth.  Some of this is related to how the neck lift is done but even a perfectly done neck lift can result in some return of loose skin/soft-tissue.  This can be related to the strength of the tissues being pulled on.  Strong tissue will maintain its pull/tension while tissue that has lost too much of its elasticity may relax too much and too early after the neck lift.  This can be repaired by re-tightening the neck lift.

Good luck with your neck rejuvenation journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

I had a deep plane face and neck lift four months ago.

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry urine happy with the results of your neck lift.  The band that you see underneath her neck is the platysma muscle sagging.

Correction will require opening the submental incision under your chin partially resecting the muscle and suturing the 2 muscles together tightly in the neck.  For more information please read the link below:

Neck Contour

Thanks for your question.  You do have mild ptosis more on the right then the left.  You may need a revision at some point.  I would allow everything to completely heal before considering a revisional surgery.  It is important that you talk to your plastic surgeon about this.  They can guide you through the process and discuss a timeline if they feel surgery is needed.  They may need to address your midline neck to deal with your platysma.  Take care.

Timothy A. Janiga MD FACS

Neck countour irregularity after surgery

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Your neck may need revision since there is still mild laxity to the mid line. I would suggest this should await 1 year after your surgery.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

It appears that you have had some settling in your neck region. I would wait about 2 more months to see your final result. You may need a revision in your neck with further tightening of your platysma bands. Speak to your surgeon about this. A touch up is not very difficult to do.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Op 4 Months

A lot of "lines" you see on your neck can be helped by treating the platysma muscle that lies underneath the skin. Tightening and even removing portions can do wonders in smoothing out the neck. 

Samir Pancholi, DO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with 4 month face & neck lift

Thank you for your question and pictures Lou0862.  Please consult your surgeon, accessing your before pictures compared to now to again a full vision of the skin laxity to evaluate whether their has been any improvement.  After surgery for the first week or so patients are always tighter and then skin does become a little elastic and will drop slightly, however most patients would appreciate.  When dealing with the SMAS muscle sometimes patients do experience a little more laxity under the chin than others.  This could be a case of having an adjustment by just tightening slightly, in patients over 55 this can be typical .  This can be performed under local anaesthetic with minimal downtime.  As discussed your request would be a possibility so please ask your surgeon what they think before you go ahead with revision surgeon (perhaps with another surgeon).

All The Best 

4 months post op

Thank you for the pictures.  At four months post op, I would sincerely tell you to wait until the healing process has settled before proceeding with any further procedures.  Based on what you are seeing, you may need a small tuck up lift (which can be done under local anesthesia as someone else had mentioned), but you may also be a candidate for non-invasive modalities such as ThermiRF, kybella, etc.  It all depends on where you are and what it is that you would further like refined.  That being said, the best way to determine that is to keep your operating surgeon aware of the issues that are bothering you and address them accordingly.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with neck result after face and neck lift

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.

• I see the looseness that is bothering you -
  • You should wait at least six months, perhaps a little longer before having anything done.
  • You may need a revision of the neck.
  • And it may be possible to do this with local anesthesia in the office.
  • If you are over 55, such revisions are not unusual and I advise all my older patients to prepare for this because older tissues don't always hold up as well as young tissues after face lift surgery.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS