I am concerned that my face has premature aging at 30 through slight jowls and lines around my mouth. Any suggestion? (photo)

What do I need to correct jowls and premature aging of face.. I am currently losing quite a bit of weight so my double chin does not concern me. Would a lower facelift help my jowls and general premature aging look? I have no lines around my eyes and when I smile I look years younger so my concern really seems to be my lower face.

Premature Aging at 30

Thank you for your pictures.  Based on your pictures, I would not recommend facelift.  In my opinion, your weight loss may improve the fullness of your jowls.  Best wishes.

Mini Lift

A mini facelift would be a good option.  I would recommend you complete your weight loss before proceeding.  It is not common for someone so young, but with significant weight fluctuations it may be indicated. 

Early aging at age 30

Thank you for asking about your facial surgery.
  • First of all, go ahead and lose the weight - keep up the good work!
  • The entire face can change with weight loss -
  • You may 'lose' the jowls.
  • Once you have lost the weight, then it is easier to tell what is best for you.
  • It may be surgery, e.g. a small extended chin implant for tissue support, lower face lift to tighten loose tissue or both.
  • A skin tightening treatment can be used but so far, I have not seen it be effective enough after weight loss of anything more than a few pounds.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Treatment options for lower face in 30 year old

I would say you are not a good candidate for a lower facelift and it would be highly unusual for any 30 year old to be ready for this procedure.  Another option for you would be Ultherapy, which can tighten and lift the lower face without surgery.  The result would be more subtle than that achieved with surgery, but you do not require a dramatic improvement.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Premature Aging

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Uniarook without seeing you in person its hard to access your skin laxity however based on your pictures your skin looks young and healthy without little elasticity lost.  Firstly congratulation on your weight loss! Weight Loss does change the shape of our face and the laxity of our skin therefore I would definitely advice to loss the weight first before considering any non surgical or surgical treatment.  Once the weight has been lost it is easier to access the best treatment.  I do believe with a mini facelift or neck surgery etc, age is not a factor, if you have lax facial skin, lost volume and feel that you have jowls and wrinkles on your cheeks then a mini lift could help improve your appearance.

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

All The Best 

I am concerned that my face has premature aging at 30 through slight jowls and lines around my mouth. Any suggestion?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years including many on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had "jowls" premature form.  From the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess facial and neck fat along with excess facial skin evidenced by jowls and nasolabial folds and a weak chin.  These combine to create an oval rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.  I would combine face and neck liposuction to further refine and shape the cheeks and neck.

When the chin is very, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the lower face short and the mid face appear top heavy that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a "double chin".  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Lower Face

Sometimes the key to a rejuvenated face is the neck. A lot of people put an emphasis on the mid face and peri orbital area, which is extremely important, however in someone as young as you, this would not be my primary concern. By reviewing your pictures I would start by addressing your neck, and improve the contour and fullness, by a formal neck lift. This would give you a more obtuse contour on profile view. I would also address the mandibular border to help contour the lower face. I would not say you have jowling, rather fullness on the posterior aspect of the mandible that could be reshaped and addressed along with the neck. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon