I am a candidate for buccal fat removal? (photos)

I am slim and in my late twenties but I've had chipmunk cheeks all my life. I've been considering buccal fat reduction to reduce the heaviness of my middle face - which runs in the family - but I'm concerned as I've heard negative things about the operation. Am I a suitable candidate??

I am a candidate for buccal fat removal? = buccal fat removal could improve lower cheek fullness #buccalfat #buccalfatremoval

Achieving a chiseled, less chubby face requires to address multiple factors in the face and the body composition to contribute to this physical finding. This analysis will help to determine what is the plastic surgery procedure(s) what could best help to correct a chubby face, thus achieve a slimmer more chilled face. 

In patients with normal weight and normal body fat, the most important factors to achieve a less chubby / more chiseled face are:

• Lower anterior cheek fullness: this could be addressed surgically with buccal fat removal 
  • Anterior and lateral cheek bone projection: lack of cheek bone projection won't allow to have a chiseled appearance, event if the above factors are achieved. Therefore, it someone has not good cheek bone projection, he or she may require cheek augmentation/ enhancement with either soft tissue fillers like Voluma or cheek implants 

Patients interested in determining if buccal fat  removal may help to achieve a chiseled face should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

Buccal fat reduction

Thank you for your pictures and your question! Buccal fat reduction needs to be carefully done - the problems arise when doctors are overly aggressive and remove too much leading to a gaunt and sunken look, or when patients have unrealistic expectations.  Buccal fat surgery will improve the contour of your cheeks and improve the shape of your mid and lower face - returning a youthful and attractive "heart shape" to it. Provided you understand what it can and can't do, you would certainly do well with it.  That being said, the only way to truly know how much fat is in the buccal space is during a formal consultation - at which point your doc would have a better idea of expected outcomes.  I hope some of this helps! Best of luck - you will do great.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon