I want breast enlargement but PS told me as my nipples are low he should place it lower to push nipples up. Is this best?(Photo)

I went for a consultation and was advised as my nipples are low that they would look unusual if placed in regular position so he told me he would place the implants lower however there would be a crease and he doesn't know if it will definitely shift. I am just concerned if this would cause further issues. Could you please advise me if this is the best option please?

Breast augmentation often pushes the fold lower

Great question.  A breast augmentation should take into account the diameter of the implant.  With increase in breast volume secondary to the implant the distance between the fold and the areola naturally lengthens.  What is done and how it's done should not be something that you need to worry about.  It will be important to communicate what you like and don't like with photo examples.  It's the plastic surgeons responsibility to then figure it out.  I don't think your fold has to be lowered rather the distance will naturally between your nipple and fold will naturally expand .

Dr Remus Repta

Nipple positions

Thank you for your question. Although your nipple positions appear to be a little low in the photo, you may still possibly have breast augmentation without lowering the crease. This will depend on the size implants and the relative elasticity of the upper vs lower portions of the breasts. Please arranged for a personal consultation with another surgeon for a second opinion. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast enlargement

Your nipples are definitely not low. I can't say for sure without an examination, but looking at your picture you seem to have a relatively short distance between the nipple and the inframammary crease. Depending on the size of the implants that you are considering, and on the elasticity of your skin, it is likely that your submammary creases may need to be slightly lowered to make sure that the implants will be centered on the nipples. This is routinely done, and should not leave a visible crease. I would suggest a second opinion with a qualified surgeon near you.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Nipple position

I think it would be a good idea for you to get a second in person opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area. I don't think you necessarily need to lower the crease. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Low nipples

Thank you for the question and photos and if you are seeing an expert in the field he should be taking your natural anatomy into account when doing your procedure to give you the best possible result.  If  you have concerns on what you have been told then seek a second in person opinion from an expert in the field.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I want breast enlargement but PS told me as my nipples are low he should place it lower to push nipples up. Is this best?(Photo

Although your nipples may be a little low, that doesn't mean that you will not have an attractive result after a breast augmentation. The breast fold can be lowered initially, but I find that it will usually gradually increase over time with a straight forward augmentation. If you intentionally lower the fold initially, I think you may increase the risk of an implant malposition as you heal. Good luck!

The infra-mammary fold

Your nipples don't appear low overall but they may be low in relation to your infra-mammary crease.  Lowering the infra-mammary crease can sometimes be the right solution but it is a natural structure and once divided, it is hard to reconstruct it.  Alternatives that can work are: choosing a smaller implant so it is not forced up too high (resulting in an upper pole bulge and a downward pointing nipple) or placing the implant in front of the muscle.  This avoids the "double bubble"deformity that can arise when the infra-mammary crease is lowered and a sub-muscular pocket is used.  There are lots of factors to consider but we do try to choose an option that will avoid any need for nipple repositioning.  I would suggest you discuss pre-pectoral placement.

Dan Kennedy

Dan Kennedy, MBBS, FRACS (plast)
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

Lower the crease

It's been my experience, that a breast implant that fits inside the natural base with of the breast with the distance from the nipple to the  infra-mammary crease on stretch, will ultimately have less problems with inferior migration and bottoming out. The decision of whether or not to lower the crease is best left to your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Are my nipples too low for breast implants?

Hello.  You do seem to have a short distance between the fold and nipple.  This may limit the size of implants that can be used.  It is not uncommon to need to lower the IMF in your situation.  Anytime your natural IMF is altered, there is a risk of a line and/or implant bottoming out.  You need to discuss the potential complications with your surgeon and decide if the benefit outweigh the risks.

If you are unsure, get another opinion or two.  My advice is not to settle.  Look for the surgeon that you feel the most comfortable with.

Breast Implant Position

Thank you for your question, and the pictures.

Ideally, the implant is centered on the breast, with the point of maximum projection of the implant directly behind the areola.  So, depending on the type of implant (round vs. shaped), sometimes the implant needs to be be placed a little lower.  Sometimes that involves lowering the crease a little bit.  If that's done, you may notice a continued "second crease" or "double bubble" on your breast, but this usually smooths out with time (sometimes it doesn't and a revision is required, though).  I would continue to talk with your surgeon about the operative plan, and ask to see before/after examples of women with breasts similar to yours, so that you can get an idea of what you will look like.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon