I have had my breast augmentation, I am 2 days post op and still in extreme pain. I can't move on my own. is this normal?

I am very worried as my nurse has said if this continues 4 days post op then i have to go back, i would just like to know if this is normal not being able to move? I have been prescribed Co-Drydamol which i am taking 1 every 2 hours as i was sick and they came up when i took 2 and 2 muscle relaxers (methocarbamol). How long is the pain supposed to last as most videos i have seen, people are up and about 1 day post op? Maybe i need a stronger pain killer?

Extreme pain after BA

Hi.  Sorry to hear about your painful experience.

In my opinion, if the patient is having extreme pain like you are, they need to be evaluated to make sure there are no signs of either infection or bleeding in the implant pocket.  If those are negative, then a different pain medication might be helpful.  Are your implants unders or overs?  What size did you select?

2 days post op and still in extreme pain

If you are experiencing short bursts of shooting pain, accompanied by tingling sensations then this is normal. It indicates healing of sensory nerves around your breast area. You should allow your body to heal naturally but if it is extreme pain and localized massage and pain medications are not helping then you should consider an in-person examination to make sure there is no infection present.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Pain Takes Time to Resolve after Surgery

Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

Be sure to begin taking all mediations as prescribed. Initial discomfort of the breasts is controlled with pain medication and a muscle relaxer. Now, since it is still early after your procedure you should allow a little time for the pain to calm down, but if you find yourself extremely uncomfortable it would be good to follow-up with your surgeon to make sure that the healing process is progressing well. Good luck.

Post Op Pain after BA

Hi-Do you know if you had the implant under the muscle of over it? BA can be sore and patients need regular pain killers, but not to the extent they need help to mobilise! I would contact your PS and get checked out ASAP.

Unsusal

I would say that extreme pain is unusual and should be evaluated by your surgeon.  At least send photos.

Best Wishes

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS