I had breast augmentation in April 2016 and now and then in my right breast I get a sharp pain. What could this be?

Breast augmentation and a sharp pain post-op.

It is normal to have a sharp, shooting pain in one breast or on both breasts at some time during your recovery period as your nerves regenerate. It is normal for each of the breasts to have different sensations as each have a different healing rates and each breast may recover faster or slower than the other. The normal healing time for breast augmentation is 3-6 months after the operation. It is best to have your breasts checked by your surgeon to make sure that the pain you are experiencing is normal.

London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

At 5 months, you may still be experiencing some nerve regeneration that is causing sharp, shooting pains. Remember that no two breasts ever look the same or heal at the same rate. Best to call your operating surgeon so you can be properly examined and evaluated in person. Good luck!

Breast augmentation: post-op sharp pain in one breast

Although any postoperative concerns should be addressed by your surgeon, I tell all my patients that it is normal healing, right from the start, to have one side feel great and the other side to have periodic pain, zings, or discomfort. The discomfort can be off and on for about 9 months and is less and less each month. During this nine-month period, there could be a couple of months without any discomfort in either breasts, then all of a sudden a zing could return in that same breast. This, in my experience, is completely normal and experienced by all my patients. I further advise them that if the discomfort should last more than a minute (from the first post op visit onward),  ibuprofen, if they can tolerate it, would be useful. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Pain

While it is unusual to experience pain 5 months post op, you should arrange to see your surgeon for an in person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD