I have had BA, how long do I have to sleep propped up for?

Also what is the reason behind having to sleep up right?

How long should you sleep propped up after a breast augmentation?

Many thanks for asking a question I get asked frequently!

There is no science or research behind sleeping propped up, but most plastic surgeons would agree that some sort of support for around a week after surgery would be a good idea in an effort to help swelling settle down.

The best thing would be to ask your plastic surgeon what they recommend

I hope that helps!

Upright after breast surgery

Sleeping upright makes it a little difficult to roll over onto your side, which may be uncomfortable, and is usually what we like to avoid early after surgery.

I generally say 2 weeks, after which you can sleep in whatever position is more comfortable for you.

Good luck.

Sleeping upright after breast augmentation?

I would suggest sleeping up right for at least 2 weeks to take pressure off of incision.  It helps provide dependent drainage.  Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. I find that, in my practice, most patients feel most comfortable propped up for about one week after breast augmentation surgery. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Each surgeon has their own post opeerative protocols or reccomendations. I advise patients to sleep propped up on their back fro the first few days to help with the pressure on the chest. After they may sleep flat on their back for a total of 5-6 weeks post op. Please ask your surgeon.

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sleeping with back elevated is not required after breast augmentation.

First of all follow the instructions of your surgeon. In my own practice I do not require patients to sleep with the back elevated unless they find it more comfortable.

Sleeping with implants

Everyone recovers different and it really depends on what kind of procedure you had and what implants were used too. Sometimes surgeons can have restrictions on how long you have to wait before you can sleep or be on your stomach. It is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Smooth implants may move more than textured so it kind of depends on the implant type you had. Best of luck with a speedy recovery, MMT

2 weeks

I recommend two weeks but I would most certainly follow your surgeon's advice.  Why I do this is for comfort.
Best Wishes,
nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

In my practice, I have patients sleep in a recliner or propped up for 1-2 weeks. This decreases swelling and helps with discomfort. After that time, it is ok to sleep on your back. I don't let patients sleep on their stomachs until about 6 weeks after surgery when the capsule is fully formed so that we can decrease the risk of the pocket becoming bigger and allowing the implants to fall to the side. Best to contact your surgeon for their preferences though! Best wishes!

Sleeping sitting up

Thank you for your question.  I let my patients sleep however they want as long as they are comfortable and don't necessarily need to be propped up, but every surgeon is different.  I would check with your surgeon to see if they have a specific protocol.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon