Hematoma caused by Juvederm or worse? (Photos)

Hello everyone, I've had Juvederm injected by a dermatologist 4 days ago into my upper lip and immediately felt a sharp pain, my lip got swollen fast and to a massive extend on my right side where injected initially. The doctor dissolved the filler with an antidote, applied an antibiotic topically, and cooled the area for over three hours before I was released.The bruise on my right upper lip seems to be fading but the bruise above this area (dark shadow) hasn't changed much.

Bruise after fillers in lips

It sounds like your doctor thought that there was vascular occlusion. I don't see evidence of this now. It just appears as a bruise. Arnica can be used to shorten the duration of the bruise. I use laser, Excel V for bruising to shorten duration to about 2 days. It can only be used on type 1-4 skin.

Bruising After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your experience.  Based on your photographs, I would anticipate that your residual bruising will completely resolve with time.  Arnica is beneficial for minimizing the appearance of postprocedure bruising.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Bruise After Juvederm

Juvederm is an outstanding product used to restore volume in various areas on the face including the nasolabial folds and lips. With any injection (Botox, fillers, etc.) there is a risk of bruising. In order to address bruising it is best to prevent it by avoiding blood thinners a few days before and after the treatment. I also recommend applying cold compresses such as ice packs before and after the treatment to reduce the possibility of bruising. In our office we treat bruises with a laser as early as one day after the injection. The bruise typically resolves much faster this way; in our experience it usually resolves in one to three days. Topical and oral arnica have shown anecdotally to improve bruising but there is no scientific evidence demonstrating this. Nevertheless it should not hurt. If bruises are not treated they normally resolve on their own; patience is key. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Bruise following Juvederm injections into the lips

Thank you for sharing your concerns and photos. Fortunately, the bruise will likely completely resolve. Some doctors and patients  believe arnica helps with the healing process. See your doctor if the bruise persists more than 10 days.  Good luck,

Haematoma caused by Juvederm

Hello. Having used Juvederm for a while it is common to have significant swelling and bruising in the first 72 hours post injection. Could you clarify when you had the sharp pain? It is highly unusual that your dermatologist would inject Hyaluronidase (the drug used to dissolve filler) unless he/she was concerned about possible necrosis as a result of filler being injected into a blood vessel. The injection of hyaluronidase itself can cause significant swelling. From your pictures it is difficult to tell whether the 'dark shadow' is indeed a bruise. Most bruises can even take up to 10 days to fully settle. I would go back to your dermatologist for a review to clarify why they needed to dissolve the filler and for a check up.

Juvederm and bruising

The filler was dissolved with Hylase, so bruising is expected. This will dissipate over the next week. Arnica cream or low dose vascular- pulse dye laser can help. 
All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologist Brisbane Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

This does not look like a hematoma from the pictures.  Likely your doctor suspected vascular compromise at the time he used hyaluronidse.  Bruising fades with time try arnica cream/gel to help fade it faster.

Martin Jugenburg, MD