Must haves for surgery?

What do you recommend for pre and post surgery ?

Pre and Post op instructions

Pre-Op instructions
  • No food or drink if having general
    anesthesia or IV sedation. If you take blood pressure or thyroid medication, take with a sip of water only and please inform the anesthesiologist and nurse.
  •  Eat a light breakfast ONLY if having surgery in our office under local anesthesia
  •  No contact lenses, hair clips, body piercing or jewelry unless you cannot remove.
  •  Wear clean, comfortable,
    loose-fitting clothing like a warm-up suit, zip or button-up top and flat slip-on shoes.
  •  Bring bag packed with necessary items for surgery (see 1 Day Prior for list of items) e.g. TED hose, prescriptions, 
Post op Instructions

Every surgeon has different post op instructions. I have attached a link with the post op instructions I give all my patients. 

Pre and post surgery

Assuming your medical condition is good and you are a good candidate for anesthesia I tell my patients they should not have any nicotine exposure before surgery. Most doctors do not want their patients to have any exposure to meds that may increase the chance of bleeding preop. Postop you should follow your doctor's advice about good wound care and postop restrictions.  

Mark Deutsch, MD

Recomendations

Can you let us know the type of surgery you are planning?  This will help the panel of Surgeons on Real Self to give you an accurate answer to your question.

Many thanks

Here is a list on Realself

Here is a list posted on Realself by Dr. Pozner.  It lists a number of things to do and to buy to help you before your breast surgery.

Must haves for breast augmentation

Dear cheb05,
It is definitely important to learn about the risks and benefits of breast augmentation surgery, if you believe you can achieve the look you are hoping for after surgery, and if it is the best time in your life to have the procedure. Women who have not yet had children need to understand there will be significant changes during and after their pregnancies and breast feeding, and appropriate breast cancer screening needs to be done before surgery for those of age. After surgery we recommend limited activities with the arms for 4 weeks, and depending on the type of implants you might need to do special displacement massages to help keep the implants soft.
Every surgeon you visit will have their own recommendations as far as the procedure details and post op recommendations. I am happiest when patients are at a stable weight, are done having kids, and their children are old enough that they don't need to be carried around. It certainly doesn't have to be that way, but it is nice to be the "clean up crew" after the breasts have done their job.
The most important pre-op concerns are being a good candidate medically,have realistic expectations, to be off blood thinners, and have adequate time off demanding activities.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Pre and Post Op

Contact your surgeon's office for pre and post operative instructions.  Everyone has their own protocol.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Must haves for surgery?

Thank you for your question.  Instructions will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  It's great that you're looking for this information though - be sure to ask your surgeon for these pre-op and post-op instructions in order for you to review them before your surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Pre & post op

I suggest calling your surgeons office for pre and post op must haves and instructions. Best of luck.

Must haves for surgery?

Thank you for your question. It can vary with each person and with each plastic surgeon. For a more detailed answer on pre- and post-op care, it is best to speak to your plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD