The hair on the two sides of my head has stopped growing. The area is very scanty (Photo)

Hair loss .. maybe traction alopecia

Traction alopecia

Yes, it does appear that your hair loss is from traction. Be sure to see a dermatologist or hair medicine specialist to confirm and discuss trratment. Improvement may or may not be possible. I like to treat early traction fairly aggressively with minoxidil, steroid injections and topical steroids (particularly fluocinolone).

Blood tests are essential so dont leave without a requisiton for:  CBC, TSH, ferritin, ANA, zinc, vitamin D.

The hair on the two sides of my head has stopped growing.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Sides of head hair loss

You have a typical presentation for traction alopecia - which is hair loss caused by prolonged tension on the hair shaft.  Braids like you show in your photo are the classic case for this, and very common in the African American community.  Check out a trusted hair doctor in your area for a definitive diagnosis (i.e. to rule out anything else that might be going on) and then try minoxidil or hair transplant.  

And definitely explore different hairstyle options! Good luck.

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

you may have traction alopecia or there may be other underlying causes. You should have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp as well as discuss your nonsurgical and surgical options. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Hair loss in female

You may have the damage from traction alopecia. Female hair loss is a difficult diagnosis and you need to see a doctor to find out what is going on

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Getting Hair to Regrow--Prp and progesterone for hair loss treatment

It might be traction alopecia.  I recommend a consultation with a hair loss expert to go over your condition and options. PRP and progesterone injections are good options and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hair loss

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to evaluate your scalp and hair loss through photos, but from what I can see, it looks like you are thinning in the frontal hairline. Could it be traction alopecia? Possibly. However, there are many other diseases that cause alopecia and some conditions may lead to permanent hair loss. In the meantime, I would avoid pulling hair back into tight braids to prevent further tension and stress on the hair follicles. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your hair and scalp evaluated and to determine the cause. Take care and good luck. 

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD