Do I have gynecomastia and/or is it worth getting checked out? (Photo)

Dear Doctor, I am currently going through puberty at the age of 16. I have a normal and healthy weight however for the past year I have been noticing that my nipples seen a little puffy. In the images I have attached it is clear that only my nipples seem a little larger than usual yet my chest/breast is fine. As for this, I have a dilemma as to whether or not I have gynecomastia and was hoping to find out. Any help is greatly appreciated! Many thanks, UserF16

Doctor Answers 6


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for the photo.  At 16, I'd wait this one out. Puffy nipples is not uncommon during puberty.  There is a very good chance this can resolve on its own. 

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia and/or is it worth getting checked out?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you seek consultation with your primary care physician. Physical examination will be key when it comes providing you with an accurate diagnosis. Based on your description, it is possible that you are dealing with gynecomastia.

"Gynecomastia" comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and "mastos" meaning breasts. It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative.

Persistence gynecomastia is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue liposuction surgery may suffice. If/when the time comes for surgical intervention, please make sure that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Consult with a Board Certified Surgeon to Better Determine

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Gynecomastia and Puffy Nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Puffy nipples are considered a form of gynecomastia, however it is very common in young boys as they go through puberty. 90% to 95% of adolescent gynecomastia will go away all on its own. If it hasn't gone away after two years of developing, it may be permanent and then surgery is the only option to get rid of it. If it is causing you psychological issues, it would benefit you to see a gynecomastia specialist for an evaluation. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In these pictures your breasts/nipples look completely normal to me. However, if you feel anything hard under the nipple or in the surrounding tissue, or if your have a history of cancer in your family, you should be evaluated by a physician near you.

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would agree with you that your nipples seem somewhat prominent or puffy, but without a physical exam it is not possible to know for sure if you have gynecomastia.  Further, during puberty, it is also normal to have breast tissue enlarge then go back to normal with hormone fluctuations.  Your best starting point would be with your primary care or general physician.  Surgical intervention should not be considered for gynecomastia unless it has been present for at least a year and doesn't seem to be going away.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.