Could someone give me an idea of what type of procedure I would need to remove my vein? (photos)

The vein is slightly raised from the skin when I have been standing for a while it pops out a little more.

Varicose vein

The treatment options are ALL minimally invasive in nature. You would need a venous mapping using ultrasound to determine if you have reversal of blood flow in the larger veins of the leg. Venous insufficiency or reversal of flow patterns can cause enlarged veins which get significantly worse with standing. Lucky for you EVLT possibly combined with other less invasive treatments such as ambulatory phlebectomy is a great treatment option. 

Beverly Hills Physician

It looks like a varicose vein. You will need an ultrasound scan to assess the vein and following which your doctor can explain which key hole modality you would be suitable for. The procedure can be done either under local or general anaesthetic as a day case or a couple of hours in the hospital. The modalities for treatment could be either foam sclerotherapy, laser or glue treatment. Your doctor can discuss the risks and benefits of each.

Sameh Dimitri, MD
London Vascular Surgeon

Varicose veins in the leg

Proper evaluation with white light and red light diaphanoscopy (Vein Lite examnation) and mapping as well as ultrasound imaging will help guide treatment, i.e. determining if you need microphlebectomy or US guided sclerotherapy. 

Hratch L Karamanoukian MD FACS 

Blue-green veins can be treated with laser

These veins can also be treated with a laser possibly. It's hard to tell from the picture. The Nd:Yag is the best laser to treat these types of veins. The difference in treatment: sclerotherapy will create a reaction with the medication and blood, causing the vessel to collapse and heal closed shut. It may feel a little hard for a few weeks as it resolves. With laser treatment, it can also become a little firm and resolve quickly as well. The benefit is less staining risk (the overlying skin can become darker for a short period of time - a few months) with laser treatment and less number of treatments.

Leg vein

Based on the picture, it appears that sclerotherapy (injecting the vein with a medication that will cause it to close and be absorbed by the body) would be an option.  If you have any symptoms such as heaviness, aching, throbbing or swelling in that leg-or if the vein bulges when you stand, you need an Ultrasound to see if you have underlying venous disease.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Leg vein treatment.

The posted picture looks like a blue reticular vein and I would treat this with sclerotherapy.  If the vein is a bulging varicose vein then a venous ultrasound would be indicated. However, based on the picture I would treat this with only sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon