FUE Surgery - do you have to have the donor extraction part of the surgery laying face down?

Hello, I'm due to go for a consultation for FUE surgery in a couple of weeks. One question that I will ask during the consultation is regarding the 'face down' time that is spent when the donor hairs are extracted. I want to know whether it is possible to have this part of surgery done sat upright which I would find a lot more comfortable as im very anxious and would fine it uncomfortable being laying down on my front. Would it be possible to be sat upright or on a steep incline? Thank you.

Harvesting Position

The surgeon will have much more accuracy if you are laying down.  When you are sitting it puts the surgeon at a different angle from harvesting the grafts.  In addition, there is a lot more movement from the patient when he is sitting.  It a short time to be uncomfortable for a lifetime of hair.

Position in the extraction part

In my own personal practice, I always perform the extraction part in which the patient is in a sitting position. I perform the FUE manual punch combined with a technique that I developed, the Sequential Method. There are several benefits in using this combination of techniques, like examining the donor area and the extracted grafts in an efficient and effective way. In addition, being in a sitting position creates more comfort for the patient.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor extraction part of the surgery

face down' time that is spent when the donor hairs are extracted is about 2 hours in my hands ..While we harvesting the grafts patients head must be stable to avoid transection of grfats.. any movement may cause mis targeting of the hair shaft and harvesting error. 

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Every doctor is different. So if you are having surgery with your doctor, it is best to ask your doctor the question.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The answer to this has to do with years of FUE experience. The answer is yes at our clinic you will be in a sitting position during your FUE extraction. We find that the patient can watch movies or browse the internet during the extraction. The accuracy is with the experience so whether or not you are laying down or sitting upright; it should not matter to a heavily experienced FUE practitioner. :)

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Face Down is best

Harvesting takes a great degree of skill and accuracy and therefore is a lot easier when a patient is face down and cannot move around very easy. That is why it is preferable to have patients laying down instead of in a sitting position. It not only helps with angles but also makes it a little harder for the patient to unexpectedly mover their head too much. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Positioning in FUE

As the pioneer in FUE, I started doing them in the sitting position but found more accuracy when a patient was lying face down. Don't compromise your surgeon

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon