FUE aftercare - is the patient required to use propecia/finestaride to maintain results?

Hi, Following an FUE procedure, is the patient required to use propecia/finestaride to maintain results? I am hoping to undergo treatment early next year but have been actively trying to avoid the use of propecia as I have heard much negative feedback (relating to erectile dysfunction etc). If propecia is recommended, is there a way of maintaining results without it? Thank you.

Hair Transplants Are Permanent But Your Other Hair Is Not...

Hair transplants are permanent but your other hair is not... therefore, ongoing medical therapy to stop male pattern hair loss is highly recommended. Non drug alternatives to oral finasteride/Propecia include PRP with placental Extracellular Matrix like BioD, hands-free low level laser therapy devices.  Other options include a topical solution which contains finasteride like Formula 82F but helps avoid a systemic load of finasteride in the blood, or perhaps even a strong, non-greasy minoxidil topical like Formula 82M. Our patients sometimes just use one of the above, others prefer combination therapy depending on their routine results-tracking HairCheck measurements over time.

Boca Raton Hair Restoration Surgeon

There are no medications "required" to maintain results. If you have issues or concerns it is best to ask your doctor.

There are no medications "required" to maintain results.  If you have issues or concerns it is best to ask your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplants and Propecia

Hair loss is genetic in men and progressive. The younger you are, the greater the risk. No you don't have to use this drug but there are no other drugs that slow down the hair loss process which you will be at risk for.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride after hair surgery

The positive effects of finasteride have been well documented, so it would be wise to try to continue if you could.  For my patients who cannot tolerate or are unwilling to take oral finasteride, I prescribe a topical formulation which, in my patients, seems to have a equally beneficial result.  I also strongly recommend cellular therapy.  Cellular therapy such as PRP and SVF release growth factors which help strengthen existing follicles and stimulate dormant follicles to grow.  I've done a lot of research in this field and these treatments are safe and have minimal side effects since the cells come from your own body.  If you do a treatment, you may not need further surgery, but you need to seek an experienced expert in this technology, of which there are only a handful in the world. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

A good done hair transplant surgery will not need any special product to be used. Usually we advice the patients to use these products such as Minoxidil ,Rogaine, Propecia/ Finasteride to slow down the hair shedding of the existing hairs . You may consult with your surgeon for your post op care optionsAll the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon