Fluid has developed around 6 year old breast implant, Will this resolve itself?

I've recently noticed my left breast implant feels like it's moving more than previously & feels almost loose when going from bending over to standing. I've seen a specialist consultant PS & he suggested that this is a slight fluid build up & if I take NSAID this issue will resolve. He said there are no signs of Capsular contraction or implant rupture. Is fluid build up something that can resolve? Is there anything else I can do to help?

Fluid around a breast implant

It is difficult to be specific without an examination but it is possible that you have developed what is known as a seroma. This is, as you say, a build up of fluid around your implant and can, rarely, happen several years after your surgery. Many resolve spontaneously but some don't and, if it persists, will need some sort of intervention to correct the problem but also to rule out an extremely rare form of lymphoma. I would suggest you go to see your original surgeon, but if this is not possible or practical, seek a consultation from a specialist cosmetic breast/plastic surgeon in your area.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Seroma around implant

In my opinion, all late seromas was that don't spontaneously resolve should be aspirated under ultrasonic guidance to avoid implant injury and the fluid sent for both culture and examination of cytology for a certain type of lymphoma that presents with a late seroma. Should the seroma not abate or return after being aspirated that a surgical removal of the surrounding capsule and placement of a new implant are indicated. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS