Is this my final result or will things improve? 5'8, 150 pounds, 475cc dual plane. 12 weeks post op. (photos)

There are a number things I would like to address please. My surgeon said I had asymmetry but used the same size implant in each breast. Is it still apparent? I understand as my skin has stretched my areolas have too but why have mine got SO much bigger and will they ever shrink? Why has one areola stretched more than the other? Why do the position of my nipples seem to be so low and will this correct itself? Is this close to my final result or will my implants settle into the pockets more?

Is this my final result or will things improve? 5'8, 150 pounds, 475cc dual plane. 12 weeks post op

You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. It is not uncommon for areolas to stretch to some degree after breast augmentation

Regards,

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Too early to judge outcome

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome. It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant. It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look. Be patient.

Asymmetry

From your photographs, comparing your preoperative asymmetry to what we see in your postoperative result, in my opinion, you have a magnification of the small asymmetry of the nipple position that has persisted since before surgery. I don't believe that at three months after surgery this asymmetry will get any better. It's not uncommon though for the breasts to still soften a little bit more over the coming months. Follow-up with your chosen plastic surgeon recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS